logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 … 10 11 12 13 14
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Originally Posted by Albert
TEQ grin
While processing analog signal for RC seems like a step in the wrong direction, it would seem that is the only option in a post MQA world.

It's likely better if your an M enthusiast, given than if Trinnov had a weakness, it would be its DAC, relative to the upper end of M. This might be due to the noisy environment that Trinnov DAC's operate in.

I stilll think that M should just license Trinnov and sell a processor that has SpeakerLink connections. Works for JBL....


Primary: MD600, MS200 (SpeakerLink to AES), Trinnov ST-2, Ayre V6-xe, Salk SS8 3x LRC.
Secondary: MC600 (whole house).
Zone one: 568.2, G57, MS200, Spatial Hologram M2SE.
Zone 2-6 (Awaiting assignment).
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Originally Posted by Yetis
It's likely better if your an M enthusiast, given than if Trinnov had a weakness, it would be its DAC, relative to the upper end of M. This might be due to the noisy environment that Trinnov DAC's operate in.
That's something that's always bothered me about the Altitude32; the HDMI inputs are located right by the balanced analogue outputs - something M would never do. I put that concern to Trinnov and they replied that the two sections have different PSUs and there is no detectable noise.


Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Perhaps a way forward would be for Meridian to use someone elses processor but reengineer parts of it so the HDMI would not be in the same box. Updated HD621+ processor with all the goodies then out to either analog or SpeakerLink...


Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
That would be nice. I cannot imagine that who ever they paid the license fee too, would care how they implement HDMI. I do wonder how many people would want the hassle of two boxes. That being said, gives the pace of HDMI updates, maybe people would prefer a separate box? Trinnov does work with JBL via its proprietary blulink. Which is sort of like JBL's version of speakerlink.


Primary: MD600, MS200 (SpeakerLink to AES), Trinnov ST-2, Ayre V6-xe, Salk SS8 3x LRC.
Secondary: MC600 (whole house).
Zone one: 568.2, G57, MS200, Spatial Hologram M2SE.
Zone 2-6 (Awaiting assignment).
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Very interesting. Thanks for that. I hate to say it but before I upgrade my equipment I will have to take a serious look at the alternatives, which would include my selling my DSPs and going with "normal" speakers etc...



Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 210
Likes: 2
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 210
Likes: 2
There is another new player in this space, Lyngdorf.


1: 808.6 Anniversary, 504, Sony ES Bluray player, Apple TV, Trinnov Altitude 32, 7200SEU l/r/c, plus for immersive audio
2: Theta Compli Blu, Apple TV, HD621, G61RSL, B&W Sig 8NT l/r/c, & Runco Plasma
3: 861v8, 504, Apple TV for streaming 3100 l/r/c
roon all around
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
They are hardly new. They were my first RC experience at CES over a decade ago. They have had their share of issues over the years.

They are the controller for the +$200k Steinway surround system, which I understand is pretty spectacular. It's entirely proprietary ... I think it's also used in Macintosh top of the line processors.


Primary: MD600, MS200 (SpeakerLink to AES), Trinnov ST-2, Ayre V6-xe, Salk SS8 3x LRC.
Secondary: MC600 (whole house).
Zone one: 568.2, G57, MS200, Spatial Hologram M2SE.
Zone 2-6 (Awaiting assignment).
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Originally Posted by JerryL
Very interesting. Thanks for that. I hate to say it but before I upgrade my equipment I will have to take a serious look at the alternatives, which would include my selling my DSPs and going with "normal" speakers etc...
You would be a fool not to.


Primary: MD600, MS200 (SpeakerLink to AES), Trinnov ST-2, Ayre V6-xe, Salk SS8 3x LRC.
Secondary: MC600 (whole house).
Zone one: 568.2, G57, MS200, Spatial Hologram M2SE.
Zone 2-6 (Awaiting assignment).
Ratbert
Unregistered
Ratbert
Unregistered
Interesting how mindsets are changing, I agree with Jerry keeping your upgrade options open rather than tied to a single manufacturer seems sensible.

Russ

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
I suppose it depends on your future plans for your HT set-up, specifically whether or not installing height speakers is even on the agenda. If it is, then installing 4 – 8 analogue speakers in the ceiling is a bit less daunting than installing the same number of DSP speakers which tend to be somewhat larger. For tonal matching considerations, I’m not sure I would want to mix analogue with DSP speakers so, if I had analogue ceiling speakers I would probably follow suit with the floor speakers.


Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Cliff,

That is what I struggle with in the end. Apart from the technical and logistical challenges of sticking all these heavy DSP speakers in the walls and ceiling, your now tied into M. At that point, your likely looking at a dedicated theater and not a living room. And the magic of the Meridian solution is lost.

For me, the 861 was always the best compromise processor, for someone who wanted great sound in music and movies -- and didn't have the dedicated theater. Striking that compromise today seems increasingly difficult. Atmos, multi channel, multiple codex, HDMI 2.1?

I suspect that whatever happens, it will be more of a compromise than in the past. Hopefully the next one will actually be a processor, and actual process...


Primary: MD600, MS200 (SpeakerLink to AES), Trinnov ST-2, Ayre V6-xe, Salk SS8 3x LRC.
Secondary: MC600 (whole house).
Zone one: 568.2, G57, MS200, Spatial Hologram M2SE.
Zone 2-6 (Awaiting assignment).
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Originally Posted by Yetis
For me, the 861 was always the best compromise processor, for someone who wanted great sound in music and movies --
My sentiments exactly and my concern about replacing the 861 is that any replacement processor will fall short on music SQ front. (That 861/ID41/Roon is a powerful combination). It’s also not something I feel that I can assess via a quick demo either, which adds to the risk of ending up with an expense alternative which doesn’t quite deliver.

Like you, I don’t have a dedicated theatre but I have installed 4 medium sized ceiling speakers which are relatively unobtrusive cosmetically. I am tempted to go with Trinnov but it’s not cheap and the above doubts linger.


Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Page 12 of 14 1 2 … 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 621 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.077s Queries: 40 (0.034s) Memory: 0.8917 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 14:27:13 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS