Originally Posted by Longitude0
Are you able to explain why the (upgraded from v4) backplane/motherboard in the 861v6/v8 is incapable of having cards that can do the most advanced processing? Is there a limit akin to PCs moving from 16bit to 32bit to 64bit?
I’m just guessing, I haven’t made any form of technical appraisal of what’s currently in the 861v8 and what would be required for a next generation processor.

It’s worth however, considering what extra functions would have to be catered for if it were all to be delegated to the 861. (It’s quite possible that a much enhanced HD621v2 could share the burden in another scenario). For example, a processor offering a flexible 13.2 system (quite modest by Atmos standards) would need above the current 861v8 spec:

- the capacity to decode the older HD surround formats from bitstream
- decode Atmos, DTS:X and their associated algorithms
- provision of 7 extra audio channels
- room correction for 7 extra channels
- delays and a more bass flexible bass management for the extra channels
- MQA decoding

How much of this could be allocated to updated cards? I don’t know, but I can’t help feeling a bottom up revamp would be required. The Trinnov has a Corei5 at its heart.


Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.