|
|
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 56
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 56 |
Thank you Gianni that really is useful.
It gets quite close to an explanation and summary of broadcast formats. I now need to assimilate and digest what you have written.
The plan is to understand better what is being transmitted, choose from the limited codecs available to me (if I can) and as you say, select a synthesised surround sound mode. This, latter I already have been doing to a limited extent.
I think we might agree that, based on the amount of interest this post has generated there are more than a few folk with similar problems around the UK.
Thanks again,
Geoff
System 1. AVI S21 amplifier, Meridian 504 tuner, Meridian 218 zone controller, ATC SCM35 passive speakers. System 2. HUMAX Freesat Foxsat receiver, Pioneer PDP427XD Plasma TV, UHD722,Apple TV, G61RSL, AC12, DSP3300 centre, 2 X DSP5000 96/24 Smileys.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 757 Likes: 6
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 757 Likes: 6 |
I have a feeling this has been discussed before but have failed to find it.
I've got our Virgin Media Tivo hooked up to the 861 via an HDMI to optical converter to get DD into the 861 (since virgin disabled the direct optical out).
Unfortunately the adverts (usually in 'stereo'), rendered using the PLII DSP, come out much louder than the DD programs (on Cinema preset). There's sufficient difference that we're constantly adjusting the volume up/down.
Is there any way to easily equalise (or adjust automatically) the volume between PLII and Cinema when the 861 switches between them?
Chris
Lounge/Cinema, Trinnov, DSP8000XE, 4x 320.2 in-ceiling, M6 rear, 2x DSW.2 Roon Nucleus+ and 320.2 in-ceiling in many rooms (KEF in-ceiling in bathrooms) Spare: DSP5000, 598, 562v2, 500Mk2, 518, 519, 504, 101B, M3, 861v4, 800 DVD, MS600, MC200
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314 |
3 ideas come to mind: 1- You could try the dialog normalization parameter with your DD playback DSP. Maybe make a duplicate preset so you can have one for TV and one for other inputs. You could increase the playback volume to match the DPL? 2- You could tell your Tivo to not playback DD at all- everything would come out as 2.0. 3- You could use the analog outputs- this is really another way of #2 if the Tivo won't allow you to convert everything to 2.0. Actually here is #4- use analog output for normal TV viewing, but also run the optical into the 861 for the times you want 5.1. Now you have both 
Best regards, Jerry Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78 |
I have a feeling this has been discussed before but have failed to find it. Hi Chris, I found that topic, so have merged your post in to it. As you will read there is no easy way to resolve. Maybe lobbying parliament to force the broadcasters to normalise the levels. I have the same problem with a Sky box  Regards, Carl
861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2. [In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314 |
In thinking more on this, if it were me, and I actually did have this issue years ago when I lived in a different place, I did what I suggested in #4: analog 2.0 for normal watching and then digital for 5.1 when I wanted it... A little annoying but it worked for me back then.
Best regards, Jerry Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
|
|
|
|
1 members (Gemeni),
275
guests, and
2
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,204
Posts297,194
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|