|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314 |
That is how I see it also.
They seem like they are brilliant engineers. Solid marketeers. But not as good product planners.
Best regards, Jerry Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 615 Likes: 4
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 615 Likes: 4 |
I've seen the numbers too. Sobering indeed. Luxury brands seem to be having a tough time in general. It's not clear whether M will receive ongoing royalties from MQA or whether it was a one time IP licensing deal to give the company a cash infusion. Perhaps dividends from MQA will provide M some much needed cash in the future.
Whatever the case may be, it boggles me that M is playing childish marketing games on twitter and facebook while there's a known, loyal (increasingly less so, I suspect) fan base on this forum clamoring for information.
Soundserge
Antipodes CX + Roon, 818v3, DSP 7200SEs, 218, DSP3200s
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 153 Likes: 18
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 153 Likes: 18 |
What does the M sales rep say when a customer asks for the best MQA solution? The sales rep says " the DSP8000SE and a 818v3 or 808v6". If the customer preference is analog amps and speakers then the Ultra DAC would be appropriate.
I honestly cannot fathom the notion that a new technology like MQA has to benefit the customer sitting on 20 year old gear in the same way it does the one who bought the most recent gear. At least in terms of MQA, everyone benefits to some degree so we all win. What part about 4k HDR benefits anyone who bought a TV over the years before its introduction?
MQA has so far always been presented as a two channel format. So you currently can't play it to its fullest potential on a multichannel Meridian processor, but when you play it at the level that the kit can play it at, it still sounds better than most anything else out there. So you can't play it in Trifield and undo the goodness that has been done. If your speakers are set up correctly and are imaging as they should, it seems for the most part that Trifield is on anyway.
I hear you, and agree that it is a shame that Meridian has not produced a modern processor that decodes all the current HD codecs but the G65 and 861 still do what they do better than most anything else out there.
Yes Meridian does not share info about their new products well before they are close to production. How many companies have been burned by lengthy product introduction delays?
As for the notion that they don't care about this forum and its content that is so wrong on many levels. While they are not posting much it is read and digested daily, trust in that.
Meridian on a global scale is a very small company with a limited R&D budget and staff. You can bet that they are doing everything in their power to keep the company viable as all their jobs depend upon it.
Lastly, enjoy the music and movies. You have great equipment. New products will come in due time. Keep in mind in the last year the Ultra DAC was introduced, just before that the SE speaker, 818 and 808 upgrades, very soon we will have the 857, 258, and 218. All these products took resources to engineer and produce.
Last edited by Mel_Moon; 2017-01-16 00:17. Reason: Spelling edits
Trinnov Alt32, 271, 808v6, DSP5200SE, DSP7200.2HC, M6, QNAP TS451, 218 various other bits.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593 Likes: 13
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593 Likes: 13 |
Meridian on a global scale is a very small company with a limited R&D budget and staff. You can bet that they are doing everything in their power to keep the company viable as all their jobs depend upon it. Not forgetting that a lot of kit is hand made in house. Still quite spectacular how much effort goes into each DSP speaker for example. Kind regards David
G65, 210, HD621, DSP5200.2, DSP3300C, DSP3200,
NUC 7i5 Roon Core, Apple TV 4K, Blustream SW41AB-V2, Panasonic TX55fx802, EE8 switch
Multiroom - Ms200, Nile’s ZR4 Bedroom - 251
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 687 Likes: 2
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 687 Likes: 2 |
Roon, Technics SL10 turntable, Meridian 218, Jolida tube DAC, Nuforce STA 200 Amp and passive Swallow Acoustics ALS2 speakers
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314 |
Excellent and valid points. I can only agree. Its reasonable that there is understanding- on both sides of the equation (customer and manufacturer).
Btw- no complaints on how my equipment works- its fantastic! It was just frustrating, in my case, to end up in between two systems but that is not all attributable to one side- and I count myself as one of three players in that.
Best regards, Jerry Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 615 Likes: 4
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 615 Likes: 4 |
Yes Meridian does not share info about their new products well before they are close to production. How many companies have been burned by lengthy product introduction delays?
As for the notion that they don't care about this forum and its content that is so wrong on many levels. While they are not posting much it is read and digested daily, trust in that.
Meridian on a global scale is a very small company with a limited R&D budget and staff. You can bet that they are doing everything in their power to keep the company viable as all their jobs depend upon it.
Lastly, enjoy the music and movies. You have great equipment. New products will come in due time. Keep in mind in the last year the Ultra Dac was introduced, just before that the SE speaker, 818 and 808 upgrades, very soon we will have the 857, 258, and 218. All these products took resources to engineer and produce. If my tone seems harsh, know that it comes from a frustrated fan that's rooting for Meridian. I want Meridian to be successful and I want their employees to keep their jobs. Not in the least because I'm already invested in Meridian and I'm still entertaining the idea of SE DSPs. I'm not even referring to the dearth of information about yet-to-be announced products as I'm not interested in anything beyond 2 channel audio. I look at threads like these and I'm baffled by Meridian's seeming stubborn unwillingness to close what I see as leads by providing clarity about already announced products and how they work together. Maybe customer experiences are better on the other side of the pond. Maybe I've been unlucky. In the last three years I've tried to reach a local PP. First enlisting a Meridian North America executive and later by sending two emails and leaving two voicemails. I was never invited to his store. I gave up on that one. The PP I work with now is very helpful and knowledgable.
Antipodes CX + Roon, 818v3, DSP 7200SEs, 218, DSP3200s
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941 Likes: 9
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941 Likes: 9 |
{adding to this a little while later} I poked around their website and this might be of interest: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/blu-ray-udp-203-Features.aspxDual HDMI Outputs The player features two HDMI outputs – an HDMI 2.0 port for connecting to the latest UHD TVs, projectors and A/V receivers, and an HDMI 1.4 audio port for connecting to older A/V receivers. Customers with newer 4K- and HDR-capable A/V receivers can use a full HDMI 2.0 signal path, while customers with older A/V receivers can have a split A/V setup. So it appears if you have a 4K device or HDMI 2.0+ device, and if the output of that device is a format that is newer than what the HD621 can handle, the 203 can also help you by bringing the audio "down" to HDMI 1.4. As an aside it might be worth while to see what you think about the Oppos decoding to LPCM. If memory serves, most DTS MA and Dolby TruHD on Bluray are 48khz- and I think the HD621 can upsample to 96?? I wondered what devices this could cover. Kaleidescape 4K? No it has a 1.4 HDMI out for audio. Apple TV? No, its not 4K yet and is 1.4 also. Roku 4K? It seems that would qualify. Maybe other streaming devices? Many thanks for your detailed and helpful post. You have confirmed what I suspected. I shall be interested to hear what you make of the performance when you have had a chance to get beyond first impressions.
Asa Post
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941 Likes: 9
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941 Likes: 9 |
? Just think about the "launch" of the 857!
Asa Post
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492 |
I see 2017 as a critical year for us 861 owners. If nothing materialises on either MQA or 3D-audio fronts, it will be a clear indication that it's time to move on.
Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 226
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 226 |
Yes, I enjoy music and my M products. It is not about that. It is not about M saying MQA is a 2 channel solution, either.
It is about M not informing about what whether or their key technology will or will not be able to integrate into current products (861, G)
It is about M launching the ultimate MQA solution outside their product ecosystem.
It is about clarifying product features, like 218.
It is about M financial situation.
All this raises questions. When buying M products you embrace the M ecosystem. It is not just an amp or a set of speakers. So, I am highly interested in M strategy as well well as their success. I really hope that M get their act together, I put my money on it.
/ Frode
Trinnov Altitude32, Kii Three/BTX, Piega 211, BO Beolab17, 4 x Piega AP 1.2, Perlisten D212S, 2 x Velodyne DD10+, RoonServer on Unraid docker.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,171 Likes: 59
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,171 Likes: 59 |
Still quite spectacular how much effort goes into each DSP speaker for example. The resulting price tags are quite spectacular too!
Cinema: Meridian 271, 3 x DSP640 (behind screen), 4 x DSP320 (in-ceiling), 4 x DSP3100 (surrounds), 2 x AC12 (interface). 2 x Perlisten D12s subs, Lyngdorf MP40 processor. DT 145" 2.35 AT screen. Sony VW870 projector & S-T lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro. Lounge: Roon, NUC, Kef LS50 Wireless + 2 x REL Gibraltar-2 subs
Meridian owner since 1998
|
|
|
|
1 members (Rick7),
1,088
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|