Originally Posted by Wayne
Originally Posted by Fiddler
Everything decodes to "PCM" somewhere along the line. Only Meridian chose to do it earlier and expose it externally encrypted. But it's still always there.
I agree, but as far as I know the only way to get Atmos into a processor is via bitstream. The HD621 currently only accepts PCM. So M will have to change something if they decide to offer these new immersive codecs. One cannot expect the source manufacturers to have to develop and offer in-player decoding for Meridian when basically no other (current) processor requires it. This type of decoding pretty well has to be in the processor, which in Meridian's case could be a new version of the HD621.

Please correct me if I am off-base with this.
Your right, I forgot HD621 doesn't actually decode anything and the player has to be set to output PCM.

Yeah Meridian would have to get back into Decoding business which the HD621 helped them avoid.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2