Originally Posted by Fiddler
Everything decodes to "PCM" somewhere along the line. Only Meridian chose to do it earlier and expose it externally encrypted. But it's still always there.
I agree, but as far as I know the only way to get Atmos into a processor is via bitstream. The HD621 currently only accepts PCM. So M will have to change something if they decide to offer these new immersive codecs. One cannot expect the source manufacturers to have to develop and offer in-player decoding for Meridian when basically no other (current) processor requires it. This type of decoding pretty well has to be in the processor, which in Meridian's case could be a new version of the HD621.

Please correct me if I am off-base with this.

Wayne


System 1: 861v6+ID40, UHD722, DSP640x2, DSP520C, DSP320x2, DSWx2, Sony XBR-100Z9D, Oppo UDP-203, Kaleidescape, AppleTV 4K
System 2: 808.3 upgraded to 808v6, MC200, HD621, DSP8000.2 with SE Upgrade
System 3: F80
Currently unused: DSP3200x4, DSP33x2, DSP33C, D1500, DSP420x2, G68ADV, G98DH, HD421