Originally Posted by VirusKiller
Originally Posted by Kent in Welly
I thought MQA on the MS600 was definitely a non-starter? I mean, I'd be overjoyed if this was not the case - as a happy MS600 owner - but given the relatively new Explorer 1 couldn't be upgraded in firmware, I am a bit of a pessimist about an older hardware design making the cut.
Kent, sooner rather than later, Roon will stream 96/24 decoded MQA to the MSx00 devices. Your MS600 is not obsolete, nor do you need an upgrade to it (which I'm pretty sure isn't on the cards anyway).
Hi VK, I didn't think the MS600 (nor the G68, nor the DSP5200s) would in any way be obsolete - and I'm very much looking forward to having a Roon MQA decoder streaming to it, because (based on what I'm hearing over the Stax) I'm certain the system will sound much better as a result.

I was, however, expressing some skepticism that hardware MQA decoding would be coming to the MS600/MS200 any time soon. Processing capabilities, hardware architecture and the sheer age of the kit (at least late-middle-aged in IT terms) would seem to mitigate against it. Happy to be proved wrong, not holding my breath.

Of course, what we're all really waiting for is a MS600/MS200 MQA-compliant replacement - i.e. a 218 in a user-friendly box! :-)


Office: MacMini + Roon -> MS600 -> AR LS-9 -> M60s (1993 vintage)
Home: [AppleTV -> HD621] + [Roon -> 218] -> G65 -> DSP5200HC + DSP5200s + DSP3200s
Being a JAFA in Auckland, New Zealand