Originally Posted by PWM
The silence on these issues is deafening...
More & more of us are thinking alike.

Referring to the Meridian website and the "861v8 REFERENCE DIGITAL SURROUND SOUND CONTROLLER", can it still be titled as such? If there are state-of-the-art features that are conspicuous by their absence & have been for some years now, shouldn't the 861v8 be renamed?

But diverging AND contradicting myself slightly, to be honest I'm not greatly interested in Dolby Atmos & the other (additional) surround modes, or >7.1 channels, but I AM interested in MQA. However, the Custom-Install market most definitely is interested in that kind of p***ing-contest, so what's being done to keep-up...?

I totally "get" the complications of adding MQA to a beast as complex as the 861v8 but I would be quite happy to add a card which enables 2-channel MQA pass-through. It appears that the "218" might be this "fudge" in disguise, but it's a shame there's not a neater or sooner-available option.

So, my 861v8 isn't a dead-end, yet, but it's a very frustrating and expensive box of electro-trickery that really isn't living up to its potential at the moment...


Trinnov Altitude CI-12; Meridian 861v8 + ID41 + UHD722v2 + 271, 2*SE-update DSP8.2Ks, SE-update DSP7200HC, 4*DSP3200, 4*DSP33, 218, 251
JVC DLA-NZ8; Panasonic TX-P60ZT60E; Lumagen Radiance Pro 5348
Roon [13i7 Win.11 NUC]; SKY Q; Oppo UDP-203EU; AppleTV / Fire Cube / Roku / NVidia