logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 … 13 14
#257188 2017-01-09 13:42
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 171
Likes: 1
PWM
Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 171
Likes: 1
Hi,

I've got an 861v6 and have been contemplating an upgrade to the v8 (I know I've been thinking a long time!). I am now just about ready to go ahead.

With the lack of MQA and Dolly Atoms support do I go ahead and then wait for the v9 (will it support these?) or is it time to call it a day and move onto another processor/system?


Regards
Peter

Trinnov Altitude 32.16, 271, 8000SEPP*2, 7200HCSE, 5500*2, 5000*2, 320*4, JVC NZ700, Stewart Screen, LG OLED, Oppo BDP-103+203, AppleTV, 40TB NAS
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
Today, there seems little point in upgrading to v8. I agree that it seems very outdated for the reasons you give. How long you would have to wait for a v9, and what the cost would be, are matters known only to Meridian. Perhaps you could talk to your dealer? Meanwhile, as you say, other brands beckon.


Asa Post
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
I don't think there's any guarantee that a v8 will be upgradable to a v9/10 supporting Atmos and DTS:X. It all depends upon how / if it is implemented but considerably more processing power will be required somewhere. If the 861 is the target for extra processing power then it’s a distinct possibility that a completely new architecture will be required.

It could also be a long wait so I would consider your options carefully.


Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Ratbert
Unregistered
Ratbert
Unregistered
Talking to a senior Meridian man (can't remember his name) at a hifi show in London last October he said the 861v8 to v9 will not happen as to include Atmos DTS/X and whatever else they choose will require a complete redesign and almost certainly a new box. So the decision seems to be do you wait or move on? I chose to move on YMMV.

Russ

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Do you like your current Speaker setup? If you do then an 861v6->861v8 upgrade is a nice soundquality improvement.

Also your voice is needed if you want an 861v9 with Atmos/MQA if Meridian hears the interest it would mount and understand it might mean even more DSP SE Speaker sales/upgrades than only 2ch systems.


DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 476
Likes: 8
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 476
Likes: 8
I think it is better to invest in good a/d converters and buy another brand for HT usage.

Meridian makes very nice gear, but they always come late with HT inovations.

Same with MQA, other companies can play MQA on their streamers. For now Meridian doesn't have an affordable MQA compatible player for DSP speakers on the market.

I find it kind of strange as the have years of time advantage on MQA.


DSP8000SE - 218 - Roon
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Hi,

An 861 is just a pipe dream for me at this time but, I would like to think that even if the v9 doesn't have Atmos or MQA as standard that there would be an upgrade path once they became available...

On the other hand I would struggle to fit Atmos into the listening room or 'lounge' as my partner calls it without having raised eyebrows! MQA might be ok though, especially if it's software based.

For me and my 2p... A good M system, even a little out of date, will always be better than a bucket load of features on another brand. Maybe that's bias but I know what I like and have always come back to Meridian.

Good luck whatever you decide though 😃

Kind regards
David


G65, 210, HD621, DSP5200.2, DSP3300C, DSP3200,

NUC 7i5 Roon Core, Apple TV 4K, Blustream SW41AB-V2, Panasonic TX55fx802, EE8 switch

Multiroom - Ms200, Nile’s ZR4
Bedroom - 251
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Agreed, my kinda dead end. We are not really movie fans and as such Atmos is on no interest. Great DD or DTS is fine in this house for the occasional film.
Chris


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
Originally Posted by D4ve84
For me and my 2p... A good M system, even a little out of date, will always be better than a bucket load of features on another brand
My 2p is in agreement with your 2p!

Cheers
George

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
It rather depends on what the 'other' brand is, doesn't it? The premise that M is head and shoulders above everything else out there is quite frankly, nonsense.


Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 476
Likes: 8
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 476
Likes: 8
I know what Meridian is like, and I like that alot. But it is weird that a processor which cost €20.000 doesn't support anything diffrence then old standards.

I know that the 861 is superb to many other brands, but otherwise then sound improvement there is no difference between a v4 and a v8.


DSP8000SE - 218 - Roon
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
Originally Posted by Cliff.
It rather depends on what the 'other' brand is, doesn't it? The premise that M is head and shoulders above everything else out there is quite frankly, nonsense.
I actually agree, and my original draft was a qualification about being better than "many brands", but I plumped for a more populist headline just for the hell of it grin

Cheers
George

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 … 13 14

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Lord Polbrook, Ron78), 300 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,204
Posts297,194
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.074s Queries: 40 (0.030s) Memory: 0.8903 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 17:35:01 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS