Originally Posted by Asa Post
Would the exercise be worthwhile without SE-standard tweeters?

You hint that you might consider SE upgrades. These are very worthwhile even without MQA.

(Just about on the listening to MQA topic - mods please stop this if you feel it is straying...)

I would be looking at some very high quality (read expensive but less than the a pair of DSP5200SEs or the DSP7200 SE upgrade) analogue monitor speakers to pair with an 818v3 in order to get MQA capability. I can get MQA with those and the v3 upgrade; I cannot get a new/upgraded small-form DSP speaker like the DSP33s - perhaps I am a rare use-case frown

And this is the more general point, delivery of MQA is cheaper and easier in a non-Meridian archiecture than within. Whether the SQ loss (if indeed there is one) is greater than the MQA SQ benefit is, as you say, a matter for audition and ears.


In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.