Originally Posted by Gianni
(...) That titchy sub-£200 Explorer 2 must be very well endowed internally since, lacking any digital output, it must be doing the whole full-fat MQA decode.
I guess it's the difference between specialised DSP chips that are intended for that one purpose, versus general purpose processors. I wouldn't think that there are any big issues with unfolding MQA on a DSP chip, so DACs and the like could be nice and small ... like an Explorer, for instance! :-)

I think the problem will arise with more generic hardware - and that's where earlier versions of the MC200 could struggle. Basically they're just a low-cost fanless PC with a decently-specced sound card, and some of them are more than 5 years old now (which is an eternity in IT years). So I can easily foresee some of those not being up to the task.

Originally Posted by Gianni
So for partial MQA goodness I should take up a Tidal subscription and stream using the Tidal desk-top app via the USB port on my 818v2; upgrading to an 818v3 gives me no MQA-related advantage whatsoever over that solution since none of my speakers (DSP33, DSP7200.1, DSP8000.1) are MQA capable (yet).
That's the bit I can't figure out yet. If there's no difference between the software unfolding on a generic DAC profile and the dedicated hardware unfold on an 818v3, then there's no point in doing your upgrade (aside from the convenience of being able to stream MQA remotely, a la Roon, versus having to have a laptop attached to your 818). If, however, hardware unfolding and a proper DAC profile makes a big difference to SQ even into your current system, then the upgrade is probably money well spent. It's hard to tell at the moment!


Office: MacMini + Roon -> MS600 -> AR LS-9 -> M60s (1993 vintage)
Home: [AppleTV -> HD621] + [Roon -> 218] -> G65 -> DSP5200HC + DSP5200s + DSP3200s
Being a JAFA in Auckland, New Zealand