|
|
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 69 Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 69 Likes: 1 |
Hi all - just registered as I'm trying to get my head around the world of Meridian.
Soon I'm renovating a small industrial space to become my home and I'd like it to be as minimalist as I can make it, whilst still functioning well.
To that end I'm really interested in a Meridian active system where all I'm looking at are a set of speakers (5500 or 6000 probably).
I'm running Roon with an MS200 and that system would be straightforward. But what happens if I want to add AV and surround sound? I'd love to be able hide a surround sound controller and Bluray player in a cupboard away from the listening area. Is that possible, with, say using an App or radio waves or something else for control?
And if so, what would you recommend that isn't currently the top spec of the Meridian products (i.e. affordable to mortals)?
What cables will need to run from the control cupboard to the speakers to run them and also, possibly, future proof the arrangement?
Thanks!
568.2mm, HD621, DSP6000s, DSP5000C, MS600, Roon
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 51
Meridian Partner Mostly harmless
|
|
Meridian Partner Mostly harmless
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 51 |
Hi Braidy, Firstly welcome to the forum  Here are my thoughts on your questions: Your current proposed kit list is two channel MS200 feeding a pair of legacy DSP speakers (either 5500 or 6000). Future requirement - surround sound with additional sources. For the two channel setup, you'll need 240V power for each speaker position. For audio/control, the legacy DSP speakers don't have a SpeakerLink input (this is the RJ45 data cable connector) that is used on the current range of speakers so you need to convert the output of the MS200 into a legacy connection. Meridian make an AC12 to do this conversion. The wiring diagram you'll need is Figure 1 where the MS200 replaces the 808.2 CD player. For neatness of installation, this wiring can all be in your cupboard. So with your system, you run a "Master Lead" from the AC12 to one of you speakers and then a "Slave lead" between the speakers. For future proofing, I would also run a SpeakerLink cable from the cupboard to the speaker positions. If you're going to be running surround sound later, you'll need a SpeakerLink cable and power point at each of the speaker positions. For control of the AV receiver/processor in the cupboard, there are a few options- Using a Meridian remote, one of the DSP speakers will act as an IR receiver and send commands back to the processor. As an alternative to the Meridian remote, there is a Virtual MSR app made by a third party. With a small piece of hardware, this allows control of the Meridian processor or speakers over the wireless network. I can't remember if this system can be added to to bring in control of the blu-ray player too. To control other systems (like a Blu-ray player, TV etc.) when they aren't visible, I would recommend a separate control system like Control4 or similar. This allows you to control all of the items in the room from one point, TV, Blu-Ray player, Meridian System, Lights, blinds, heating etc. I hope that this helps, Peter
Clever & Simple Meridian Dealer In South West London for my personal account please see PeterRW
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,980 Likes: 55
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,980 Likes: 55 |
Soon I'm renovating a small industrial space to become my home and I'd like it to be as minimalist as I can make it, whilst still functioning well. I'd pay just as much attention to the acoustics as to the actual equipment you use. Minimalist usually means open spaces with hard reflective walls, ceilings and floors; this will probably give you a very splashy sound, poor imaging and an unnatural frequency response, possibly even flutter echoes if walls are parallel. These problems cannot be fixed with room correction or PEQ. For cabling; at every point you can envision having a 'speaker, run two CAT6 cables from the cupboard and provide a 2G mains socket. Do the same for the screen, but higher up. With the use of 'baluns', you'll be able to use the CAT6 cables to run any type of signal to each position except for high power signals such as 'speaker level; if you ever think you will run passive 'speakers, you should run in a 4 core 'speaker cable to each point too (not the screen point!), terminate the 'speaker cable with Neutrik Speakon sockets. All the best, Steve
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 69 Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 69 Likes: 1 |
Peter, thanks so much for the comprehensive info. I hadn't considered that the MS200 wouldn't connect straight to the older DSP speakers.
Can you recommend a great AV preamp from years gone by? Budget up to £1500. I'm probably going to get a Bluray player with analogue outs and happy to forgo the latest codecs, at least for now.
Lots to think about. Thanks!
Steve - again, thank you. You're right about acoustics and I'm hoping against hope that it will be ok. But minimalism being what it is the sound is going to be bouncing around. There will have to be some compromise as I don't want to have unsightly bass traps etc. Sightly bass traps would be ok.
Anyone know of a UK company that can advise on room treatment? I'm in Birmingham.
Last edited by Braidy; 2016-10-22 14:01.
568.2mm, HD621, DSP6000s, DSP5000C, MS600, Roon
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13 |
GK acoustics are the place to go for room treatment and information. Sightly treatment is easy too.
There is a lot to learn on their site and they offer a design advice based on your measurements and pictures.
Try them. Chris
No 18 in the Hall of fame  I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 51
Meridian Partner Mostly harmless
|
|
Meridian Partner Mostly harmless
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 51 |
Hi Braidy, No problem, I'm here to help.
If you haven't bought the MS200 yet, it may be worth considering the new 218 zone controller. This will allow you to gain access to MQA files too.
In terms of processors, these should have an optical/digital input so that you can output digital audio from your blu-ray player without the need to convert to analogue and then back to digital again. All of the below processors are legacy versions which will connect directly to the speakers you're looking at. The MS200/218 would output via the digital outputs into the processor.
Ones to consider would be:
568.2mm - 500 series with MHR input to accept high resolution audio from an HD621. Still well regarded by forum members
G61 - G series replacement for 568.2mm
G68 - has video switching (may not be required). There are quite a few versions of this, you need one with DSP outputs
G61R - adds room correction to the G61. With your minimalist room, this would be a useful feature to have.
C61R - a rare rack mount version of the G61R. This would be good for your cupboard installation but not so pretty in the room as it's designed to be rack mounted.
Hopefully, this helps. Peter
Clever & Simple Meridian Dealer In South West London for my personal account please see PeterRW
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1 |
Don't forget the 861v4. Legacy unit that can include a Sooloos ID40 card and can be upgraded with an LPS.
Can be had for reasonably keen prices these days.
Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.
Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 69 Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 69 Likes: 1 |
Blimey, its like a new language to learn. Thanks all for the fantastic information. I've now got a clear idea of what I need to start and what to get built into my walls. And also the next step to improve the AV side.
One more question ... if I'm going with a legacy processor sans HD621 then I'm limited to 5.1. The cost to put in an extra two speakers with wires, etc, could be spent elsewhere and won't be in use for a while. For those that now have 7.1 sound would you say that is a big upgrade on 5.1 sound?
568.2mm, HD621, DSP6000s, DSP5000C, MS600, Roon
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821 Likes: 94
Great Green Arkleseizure
|
|
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821 Likes: 94 |
Tried 7.1 but did not experience a significant improvement, but IMHO it is all about the room.
Went to 5 x 5Ks + 3 Subs for my desired effect. This worked for me but time and technology moves on at an ever increasing pace.
Always look for bang for buck for the best sound you can afford without compromising your future aspirations.
Best of luck in your Meridian journey
Hector
AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD. DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG. STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini A capella to Zydeco
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 51
Meridian Partner Mostly harmless
|
|
Meridian Partner Mostly harmless
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 51 |
Blimey, its like a new language to learn. Sorry, there are quite a lot of acronyms to get used to! If anything is unclear then just let me know. Thanks, Peter
Clever & Simple Meridian Dealer In South West London for my personal account please see PeterRW
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,174 Likes: 171 |
I'd go for MS200, 568.2mm (which is excellent), and spend most money on the speakers. 6Ks are sublime, and very big bang for the buck, at the moment.
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 69 Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 69 Likes: 1 |
Thank you, that was what I was planning to do as a first step. And, yes, the DSP6000s are what I'm looking for, if only because they look amazing!
One question though ...
I've got two sources, before I add a Bluray player and projector. Roon/MS200 and a Chromecast dongle for podcasts and iPlayer Radio.
I understand that I need an AC12 to connect the MS200 to the speakers but where does the 568 come in the chain? Does the Chromecast and MS200/AC12 go into the 568 or does the MS200/AC12 still go straight to the speakers?
568.2mm, HD621, DSP6000s, DSP5000C, MS600, Roon
|
|
|
|
1 members (Gemeni),
275
guests, and
2
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,204
Posts297,194
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|