logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
I have run SL (MS600) into AES (ID30 in 861v4) using a simple cable and it worked great. I don't know if it sounded better than doing it the simple way with SPDIF, but at least I made the effort...


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Many people have gone SpeakerLink (out) --> AES we know that's fine.

However, Springlike wishes to go AES --> SpeakerLink (in) ... I suspect it will be fine but I'm not aware of anyone doing the before. If any has don't be shy.


Springlike,
I look forward to hear how it goes.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 59
Likes: 2
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 59
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by Carl
Springlike,
I look forward to hear how it goes.
This connection works using the wiring provided by this thread:

AES (out) --> SpeakerLink (in)

I used it to connect my computer to the SL input of a DSP5200SE. There was no clipping. Sound quality was comparable to reasonably good quality SPDIF coax, certainly no worse and possibly better in some ways if you have better ears than me.

I used M2Tech HiFace Evo for asynchronous digital to digital conversion from computer USB. The Evo provides both SPDIF (coax and BNC) and AES digital output. I used an AES --> SL interconnect made by MI' using good quality S/FTP CAT 6a cable.


Once upon a time
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Many thanks for the update, glad you're up and running now.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
Hi everybody,

This weekend I tried to connect the SPDIF out from my receiver to the SpeakerLink in on my M6's. I was looking at this thread where Syles enumerates the functions of the pins in the SpeakerLink connection. I made a quick breakout to go from SPDIF out on my receiver to SpeakerLink in on the M6. I followed the guide, connecting AES+ and AES- to the brown/white and brown wires, respectively. Ground went to blue/white. When I connected the ethernet cable to the M6 speaker, one of the resistors fried (the 55Ω that goes from the AES- to ground). Needless to say, I unplugged everything very quickly!

After the smoke cleared (fortunately only the resistor was damaged), I plugged in the ethernet cable into the SpeakerLink in connection on the M6 again. This time the other end was unconnected so I could measure -- I got +12v from the brown AND brown/white wires relative to the blue/white wire (which I assume is ground).

Do you have any idea what is going on here? It seems odd to me that the SpeakerLink in has +12v for anything, but definitely not something I expected an AES digital input would have.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
I thought SpeakerLink could power the MS200 on later DSP speakers. Perhaps this is the issue. Chris


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
Sounds like the issue is likely as Chris suggests. The two different standard wiring maps for RJ45 connectors may be the reason you ended up with the wrong pins connected. I would take great care taking the wire colours in an Ethernet cable as the same as pinouts. Either crimp your own plugs or look very carefully at what's connected to each pin at the plug end, presuming you can see it, with shielded connectors you often cannot.

Good luck

Richard


Main system; 861v8 ID41, DSP8000SEU fronts with DSP5500 centre and DSP7000 rears (all in lovely silver) 504, HD621
Second system 861v4 ID40 LPS, G98DH, 504, HD621, 2x DSP5200 with DSP5200 centre
MD600 tucked away in study. Lots of other Meridian!
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,868
Likes: 13
MI' Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,868
Likes: 13
Just to add to Richard W are you using a crossover cable.


Under review
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861
Likes: 375
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861
Likes: 375
Yes, the MS200 can be powered by SpeakerLink DSP speakers.


www.cmbintegrations.com
One step from the Presidency
#1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218.
#2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies.
#3 Meridian Ellipse
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Richard W
Sounds like the issue is likely as Chris suggests. The two different standard wiring maps for RJ45 connectors may be the reason you ended up with the wrong pins connected. I would take great care taking the wire colours in an Ethernet cable as the same as pinouts. Either crimp your own plugs or look very carefully at what's connected to each pin at the plug end, presuming you can see it, with shielded connectors you often cannot.
Originally Posted by MI'
Just to add to Richard W are you using a crossover cable.
It's definitely not a crossover cable, it's standard, el-cheapo Cat 5e cable. I'll post a pic in a minute of the termination, but it's standard orange/white to brown (from top to bottom). Even if it were a crossover cable, we'd have to assume that the master and ground were then powered at 12v ... that seems unlikely.

Quote
Yes, the MS200 can be powered by SpeakerLink DSP speakers.
Interesting. Does this change the pinout in anyway? Are the brown and brown/white lines still the AES lines? If they are, then maybe I just need a transformer rather than a resistor network so that the voltage is balanced across the two sides?

Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
Here's a shot of my cat 5 that I'm using for testing Blurry photo of an ethernet plug


Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861
Likes: 375
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861
Likes: 375
There is 12v phantom power on pin 7 when connected to the master speaker. This is what would power a MS200.


www.cmbintegrations.com
One step from the Presidency
#1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218.
#2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies.
#3 Meridian Ellipse
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Richard W), 350 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,189
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.056s Queries: 39 (0.033s) Memory: 0.8893 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 18:49:14 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS