Originally Posted by ChrisLayerUK
the Authentication is at the heart of the issue. Only the studio/Artist/copyright holders can do this.

But this is what we really want, clarity and certainty that what we hear is 'the real deal'.

This aspect only came home to me sharply in the last couple of days. I've recently purchased an LP12 (which sounds great through the 818/6Ks) and with it a few new vinyls to augment my older ones.

Some of my older records, which are original pressings, sound simply wonderful, at least as good as my CD copies (a couple possibly better in some ways). But a couple of the new ones sounded pretty dreadful - one was flat and muddy with no soundstage, and the other was ear-bleeding glassy. I lifted the needle off the second one after two tracks and gave up.

After a little research, it turned out that both labels (who shall remain nameless) weren't the original recording company, but 3rd parties who press not from anywhere near the master tapes, but, in one case, very likely from CD copies.

Not only was sound quality clearly different from the genuine article (I have tracks off both on CD) but I'm actually surprised it's legal to do this. IMHO it's misleading at best to sell 180g "Audiophile" vinyl from what is, essentially, a bootleg.

Not only would I like MQA to gain widespread acceptance as the new standard, from a consumer point of view, but I would have thought the industry would be all over this, in terms of stamping out the kind of nonsense which has to be bad for everyone.


HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES
2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports.
Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502