|
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013 Likes: 1 |
My point about Internet radio was that I don't think copying URLs of radio sites is within everyone's grasp. I think if you can't grasp this then Roon is definitely not for you. Sorry. Not sure Sooloos is either, for that matter.
Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.
Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78 |
I'm making the switch to Roon, but one niggly drawback is the minimum spec for Roon Remote. Sooloos is quite happy interacting with a first gen iPad, but my son's iPhone 5c is deemed unworthy for Roon. Hi, It's because Roon's GUI is based on a library that requires hardware that supports Open GL ES3, not a problem for recent devices (phones / tablets circa 2.5 - 3.0 years, PCs circa 5 - 6 years or less). By the time Roon's iPad app was launched I'd already updated my iPad 3 to an Air 2 as the 3 was struggling to keep up with Apple's iOS versions ... so it was not too painful for me as Roon did not drive my decision to upgrade. Regards, Carl
861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2. [In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 594 Likes: 14
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 594 Likes: 14 |
Thanks for the explanation. I have an Air, but have kept the legacy iPads as remotes for NMJ for the Popcorn Hours and for Sooloos end points such that I could just leave them in those rooms for the convenience of whoever wanted to use them. It just seems wasteful to have to retire them.
Main System: Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 2 x 8KXE, 1 x 8KPP, 6 x M6 Surrounds, Rel No.25, Oppo 203, Zappiti Pro 4K HDR, Roon, WiiM Mini.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2 |
No first hand experience since I will have to upgrade my hardware to try Roon but some specific comments on the What's Best forum are concerning. Can you provide details or a link?
Ex-moderator Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar SWMBO Room: 210, D33 Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives Desk: Merging Anubis Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...
Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053 |
Here you go. http://www.whatsbestforum.com/The discussion is in the Computer Based Music Server Forum.
Main: G68J, 5K2s, 5Ks, HSU subs, Pio 151FD, Dish VP722, Roku, Wadia I70, Anti Mode Dual Core, Oppo 103D Vanity Lite Office: SBT, Berkeley Alpha DAC 2/MQA, Magico S3 Mk II, Boulder 2060, Lumin U1 Mini streamer, Roon.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014 |
Hi Ken To me, that rant was just a case of the "squeeky wheel" getting the oil
My best advice would be to simply sign up for a trial using an old email address that you probably have [or your wife's].......[this way you can then sign up for a proper trial whenever you feel your "hardware" is ready [as per your first post]]
On any Laptop or Desktop, simply point Roon at the Music folder where you currently have your Library [Classical and non-Classical]
Leave it to run for 1-2 hours and then come back and observe the results
See what Roon does with your Library........Classical and non-Classical........and judge for yourself
I have approx 1,500 Classical Albums.......and I'm quite happy with what Roon does with these Albums and interactivity and cross-referencing it provides.
As long as Roon [and its Databases Sources] can recognize the Album in question, then Roon does a very good job in pulling in all the appropriate Metadata.........if AMG et al don't have the Metadata, then it sometimes can be an effort to get the album recognised.........but there are options within Roon to allow it to use the Metadata that it finds embedded within the Track files
Try it and see what you think yourself
-
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053 |
Hi Ronnie,
I'd like to try your suggestion but my music is on an MC200 and I backup Sooloos to an external HDD. Aren't both of those "Sooloos Speak"? Will Roon recognize those files?
Ken
Main: G68J, 5K2s, 5Ks, HSU subs, Pio 151FD, Dish VP722, Roku, Wadia I70, Anti Mode Dual Core, Oppo 103D Vanity Lite Office: SBT, Berkeley Alpha DAC 2/MQA, Magico S3 Mk II, Boulder 2060, Lumin U1 Mini streamer, Roon.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87 |
It depends how you imported them. If you ripped in say dBpa then the Sooloos files will still have the tags created at the time of the rip. If you ripped with Sooloos then it is not the same without the tags and file names.
A simple native export to another folder or USB drive is the easiest and also most practical way to do it otherwise.
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053 |
Some dBpa rips, some downloads, no Soloos rips. I found I had 500GB of space on my backup HDD so I created a folder there and began exporting. It works! Just signed up for the Roon trial and that works too! Assigned my ID41 as a zone and it plays music! I impressed the hell out of myself doing all this. Roon is very cool. At first glance I should add Roon may give me more info than I want when listening, but that's what the trial is for.
Ken
Last edited by Kswanson; 2016-06-09 02:04.
Main: G68J, 5K2s, 5Ks, HSU subs, Pio 151FD, Dish VP722, Roku, Wadia I70, Anti Mode Dual Core, Oppo 103D Vanity Lite Office: SBT, Berkeley Alpha DAC 2/MQA, Magico S3 Mk II, Boulder 2060, Lumin U1 Mini streamer, Roon.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13 |
You can really lose yourself on a musical journey following links but you don't have to either. My problem is finding the time to play. Chris 😎
No 18 in the Hall of fame  I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87 |
Ken, that's great. Exactly as it should be... it does "just work".
There is a lot of info per album in there and you can click on most data elements to follow a trail of links between all sorts of albums, artists, engineers, etc. It makes for a fun listen when you have some time.
Alternatively you can just hit play and listen to stuff without any deep-diving.
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358 Likes: 2 |
Great that you are trying Roon. I hope it works for you, but if it doesn't that's fine too! In response to your initial query whether it's improved. While it's clear that Roon has some way to go with Classical - particularly for those collectors with their own custom organisation - I have had a look at the What's Best posting you referred to, and it's mostly nonsense. The guy has not taken the time to find out how to do what he needs. I choose an album, and listen to it from start to finish. I do not want some bloody Prokofiev violin sonata to start playing after one track of my Bach finishes!!! Nor do I. Just turn off Swim. One click. I would at the very least expect Roon to be able to organize all music by Beethoven by album. But no, as you can see from the drop down box, it is not an option. That's simply untrue. And the guy writing an offensively titled post full of untruths is not helpful to him nor anyone else.... He can go Focus: Composers: Beethoven. Three clicks to get all his Beethoven albums. He can then sort them by Album Name (a feature requested by HH members, btw) in order to get them in the order he wants. So, what happens if you try to sort the display by Album? You are no longer able to sort them by composer!!!. As you can see from the drop down box, it only allows you to sort by Artist and a whole bunch of completely ******* irrelevant fields. This is true and has been requested. By this time I was almost ready to give up. Suppose I wanted to listen to a Bach Cantata. I would normally walk up to my CD rack, go to the Bach section, go to the Cantata section, and choose the disc I want.
On Foobar, I would open the Bach folder, open the Cantata folder, choose which Set I want (sets are organized by Conductors), and then press play.
Type "Bach Cantata" into the search bar in Roon, and this is what you get. Good luck if you get to choose the right one by accident. He shows a screen shot of the Bach worklist with the "filter" field empty. If he typed Cantata into that field he'd have a truly unique and very powerful way of finding exactly what he wants, but work AND conductor. He could have read the word "filter" and given it a chance, perhaps?... He also wants sort/display by folder, which has often been requested. I reiterate: Roon isn't perfect and has some gaps. His two genuine requests are important ones which will indeed make life easier for many classical collectors. But they are embedded in a sea of misinformation about features which are there but he hasn't bothered to find... Ahhh internet forums!...
Ex-moderator Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar SWMBO Room: 210, D33 Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives Desk: Merging Anubis Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...
Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
|
|
|
|
1 members (Jon Raines),
452
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,190
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|