logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
I've also suffered problems with Roon but to be fair I have not persisted to find a solution as I do not like the way Roon deals with classical music - I much prefer my own system of cataloging, which I have implemented in Sooloos over many years. I have therefore largely stuck with Sooloos and only use Roon occasionally.

I think my technical problems with Roon (aside from the classical cataloging preference) stem from using Roon on a Mac laptop which gets moved around and turned on and off all the time. It is very stable when I attach a 2TB USB hard drive to it and use Roon locally through the USB output (the mode I use when travelling or on holiday) but I have never achieved any degree of stability when I connect to my main NAS. I fully accept I must be doing something wrong, but what?

It would be very helpful if someone who has achieved stability with Roon (with a NUC or by whatever means) could draw up a schematic of the preferred setup with Meridian endpoints, setting out how to make the various connections to the underlying NAS, together with a list of do's and don'ts, such that non-computer experts can understand it.


Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS
2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1
Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
Altus #242547 2015-11-09 17:40
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Originally Posted by Altus
It would be very helpful if someone who has achieved stability with Roon (with a NUC or by whatever means) could draw up a schematic of the preferred setup with Meridian endpoints, setting out how to make the various connections to the underlying NAS, together with a list of do's and don'ts, such that non-computer experts can understand it.
I thought the replies deserved their own topic so I've moved them out to Roon schematics of preferred setups with Meridian endpoints

Can new schematics be posted in that topic please so we can keep them together.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Carl #242548 2015-11-09 17:48
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
Thanks Carl.


Rgds,
Nick


Altus #250959 2016-06-06 20:09
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
Has Roon improved their classical music handling with the latest release?

Ken


Main: G68J, 5K2s, 5Ks, HSU subs, Pio 151FD, Dish VP722, Roku, Wadia I70, Anti Mode Dual Core, Oppo 103D Vanity Lite
Office: SBT, Berkeley Alpha DAC 2/MQA, Magico S3 Mk II, Boulder 2060, Lumin U1 Mini streamer, Roon.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
There is a concerted effort to improve Roon's handling of classical music for the next version. It's already extremely powerful in some ways, but only when the metadata from Rovi is good enough.

It would be useful to hear what you see as the problems.


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
No first hand experience since I will have to upgrade my hardware to try Roon but some specific comments on the What's Best forum are concerning.

Ken


Main: G68J, 5K2s, 5Ks, HSU subs, Pio 151FD, Dish VP722, Roku, Wadia I70, Anti Mode Dual Core, Oppo 103D Vanity Lite
Office: SBT, Berkeley Alpha DAC 2/MQA, Magico S3 Mk II, Boulder 2060, Lumin U1 Mini streamer, Roon.
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 281
Likes: 6
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 281
Likes: 6
Hi Ken,

I trialled Roon again recently, and there is an awful lot to like. But when it came to classical repertoire I found my ability to 'manicure' the metadata with Sooloos was still better for me. Rich metadata can be over-rich for some works.

But despite the reported great integration with Tidal, my ability to edit metadata in my Tidal library, and thus allow me to effectively search for composer, whether via streamed or stored content, has kept me with Sooloos.

Wasn't sure internet radio was there yet either.

I remain open to jumping over to Roon, but I suspect for many of us, as with an MD600 or MC200, there is an elegant, standalone simplicity to the Sooloos system that is not easily replaced.

Richard


Zone 1: 861v8+ID41, 818V3, UHD722, Shunyata Denali, Network Acoustics Tempus, DSP7200SE, DSP5200SE
Zone 2: 818v3, PS Audio P5, DSP 7000, SOtM sNH-10G, Mutec Ref120, Ultra Dac, Cavalli Liquid Gold, Hifiman Susvara
Zone 3: Antipodes Oladra, PS Audio P20, SOtM sNH-10G & sCLK-OCX10, Devialet Expert 1000 Pro Amplifier, Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Roon does have internet Radio now. I hope we can edit and add reviews on the next upgrade. Chris


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 594
Likes: 14
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 594
Likes: 14
I'm making the switch to Roon, but one niggly drawback is the minimum spec for Roon Remote. Sooloos is quite happy interacting with a first gen iPad, but my son's iPhone 5c is deemed unworthy for Roon.


Main System: Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 2 x 8KXE, 1 x 8KPP, 6 x M6 Surrounds, Rel No.25, Oppo 203, Zappiti Pro 4K HDR, Roon, WiiM Mini.
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
That will probably be lack of 64 bit on 5C - Apple pushing 64 bit or dual 64/32 bit apps. Ironic since the Roon developers were so against 64 bit - I gather preferring the smaller footprint of 32 bit - would be interested what got released in the end now they appear to have been freed from the limitations of supporting legacy Sooloos kit.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Ian #250990 2016-06-07 20:21
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 281
Likes: 6
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 281
Likes: 6
My point about Internet radio was that I don't think copying URLs of radio sites is within everyone's grasp.

It is sure hard to describe the user experience of Roon without a throng of pro-Roon folk interrogating why I ain't so keen...*smiley face*

Richard


Zone 1: 861v8+ID41, 818V3, UHD722, Shunyata Denali, Network Acoustics Tempus, DSP7200SE, DSP5200SE
Zone 2: 818v3, PS Audio P5, DSP 7000, SOtM sNH-10G, Mutec Ref120, Ultra Dac, Cavalli Liquid Gold, Hifiman Susvara
Zone 3: Antipodes Oladra, PS Audio P20, SOtM sNH-10G & sCLK-OCX10, Devialet Expert 1000 Pro Amplifier, Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
I agree you need to be computer competent at the moment but the development is coming on in leaps and bounds.
It will be interesting to see how Roon looks in two years time. But for now it is far from turnkey.
Chris


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 879 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.142s Queries: 40 (0.105s) Memory: 0.8901 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 09:38:43 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS