Can Ian explain how the upsampling works on Red Book CD? Does it upsample to the full capability of the DAC (ie to DXD)? Is the upsampling regime adjustable by the user? (eg for those that prefer upsampling to DSD).
Any further information on the independent clock card?
Any dealers have one on demonstration yet?
Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS 2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1 Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
or is it mainly aimed at non meridian owners as simply a high end DAC?
I think so. I suspect that this may also point the way for the *next* round of 8x8 upgrades on the digital processing side.
Quote
which doesn't explain why it has the SpeakerLink connections!?
The provision of a SpeakerLink *input* is a little weird, but probably just to ensure full compatibility with other Meridian kit, either current or future.
Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
I think the SpeakerLink connections are logical - it would be strange not to provide the best connection method for the top Meridian transport (ie the 808v6). Logically one would expect this DAC to outperform the 808v6 and the 818v3 by a good margin - otherwise what is the point of the DAC at this price point? I can't see any point in connecting the 818v3 to the Ultra.
Perhaps Ian can comment on how this DAC compares with dCS Rossini - its very clear competitor.
Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS 2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1 Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
From a functional perspective, appears to be a simplified 818v3, without the analogue inputs.
So what under the bonnet changes have been brought in to justify nearly doubling the price? I assume there's some genuine Meridian magic in there, but do we know what?
One a side note, I'm hoping that lot's of existing 818 owners will be upgrading to one, as I'll be looking for an 818v1 soon...
861v4/ID40/LPS, HD621, Roon, BAT VK-600se, Impulse Ta'us. Director/Heed Canamp with HD600s.
For one, user selectable upsampling filters. Short, medium, and long.
Last edited by CMB Integrations - Bruce; 2016-06-0113:51. Reason: Clarity
www.cmbintegrations.com One step from the Presidency #1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218. #2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies. #3 Meridian Ellipse