I agree it is perfectly acceptable to exploit the value of the IP to make an exceptional profit but it remains to be seen whether there is much take up in the industry. It is possible that MQA is making it too difficult or too expensive to get a large take up in the high end DAC market. I can see why high end DAC manufacturers would baulk at having to "open the bonnet" on their own IP just to get MQA to integrate. Couple this with the "fact" that 80-85% of the MQA goodness is already in the un-decoded MQA file and you can see why it is not an easy sell. I suspect much of this difficulty arises because of the lack of an acceptable software solution.

At the lower end it is not clear to me that MQA will make much difference to sound quality but it may still be a marketing point on phones and similar devices, and this may be enough to get it to fly.

Meanwhile I will continue to listen to my eight MQA albums!


Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS
2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1
Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit