I've given some more thought to this and I think that the rationale for a high-end DAC product is obvious: The Brinkmann Audio Nyquist MQA DAC has just been announced and M needs a high-end DAC to compete with this and future MQA-DAC products in the far larger analogue market - at a lower price than the 818.
As you speculate Gianni, It could be as simple as taking 2 (analogue input and digital output) or 3 cards (previous two + ID41) out of an 818v3, but if that's the case, they are going to lose out on sales to the DAC purists, because the 818v3 can't handle anything above 192k PCM rates (including DSD128 and DSD256 over PCM). In 2016, it should have unrestricted sample rate Sooloos (ID42?), RAAT, or another network-streaming protocol (I discovered Ravenna today) and handle everything up to at least DSD256 natively.
As an 800-series product, I would expect it to have the 800-series case, which is a known quantity from an engineering perspective. However, I could well be wrong and will follow this one closely as it will be a pointer to the future of the 818.
Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Hey everyone, just a heads-up from Meridian that they are not announcing a new DAC publicly in Munich this week; however we can expect something public the week after next.
Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.