Originally Posted by Mark_H
Originally Posted by Jimbo
I concur that the ability to show HDR content and 10 bit colour depth, and hopefully true DCI colour space, will make a far bigger difference to picture quality than the increased resolution of 4K.
Don't discount the resolution completely. From the 4K I've seen, the resolution is a very noticeable upgrade over Bluray and it gives a significant improvement to the image, and if that's all that was on offer I'd take it without hesitation.

HDR has yet to prove itself... and to untangle all the competing formats...

I remember last decade watching DVD movies (so standard definition 720x576) on my Cine9 9" CRT projector on a 120" screen. The picture went through a video processor to scale it up to 720 or 1080P.
The picture was stunningly cinematic, with lifelike colours. I would say overall better than my current Sony digital projector displaying 1080P Bluray movies.

Playing the same DVD's on the Sony and the picture looks far worse. In effect picture quality has gone backwards from what i used to have over 10 years ago.
So resolution does not always dictate picture quality. Maybe just the sharpness.


861v4 LPSU, HD621, Sony HW40, PMC AML2, PMC IB2SA Centre - Triamped via Wyred4Sound MMC, PMC Wafer2 surr, PMC SB100 Sub & Wyred4Sound SX-1000, Dune HD MAX. Oppo BDP-105D Signature. Mede8ER 600X3D
Marantz CD94/CDA94. Rotel RB-1562, LG 65" OLED. IPL Acoustics STL5. Virgin Tivo. HifiMan HE-1000/Audio-GD M9. Stax SR-007/KGSSHV Carbon‏.