|
|
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569 Likes: 13 |
Prices have to come down of Meridian want to increase market penetration, as I expect the High End is getting near saturation point. The purchase has to be achievable to a sector that can barely afford a property even on good incomes. This won't do resale values any good I'm afraid. A double edged sword. Thoughts, Chris
No 18 in the Hall of fame  I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,977 Likes: 200
Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,977 Likes: 200 |
Presently, these reduced prices present some interesting purchasing options.
For example, in my circumstances, in a single Sooloos zone, the price of an MS200 + AC12 equals that of an MS600 - but I guess that the latter technically offers the better choice.
Likewise, I would imagine that an MS200 + AC12 + QNAP TS-251+ offers a more sensible purchasing decision compared to buying an MC200 for similar money (assuming you already have some HDD's).
While initially tempting, I believe it's wise to wait on MQA enabled devices to emerge.
Not an Actor, nor married to Jamie-Lee Curtis.
#1: DSP5200SE|DSW.2|218|210|506.2|504 #2: Prime/PSU|SOtM sMS-200 Mini NEO SE|Focal Stellia #3: Other stuff
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 79 |
Good news indeed! Just curious if the US price of $2000 each on the DSP3300 is correct? I thought the original suggested retail was $4000 each which would make it a 50% reduction. The GBP reduction is 33%.
If the price is correct, why not get a pair of 3300s for the same price as a pair of 3200s US.
Al
Bryston SP3 processor, Bryston PP300SST monoblocks x3, Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers LR, Dynaudio Excite X28 center speaker, Apple TV4K, Samsung TV.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 166 Likes: 2
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 166 Likes: 2 |
Is it just me, or is the list price of the AC12 a joke?
At 80% of the price of an MS200 it seems somewhat suspect.
Someone looking to replace a legacy comms G61R/G68 with a G65 would be spending most of the cost of an HD621 for essentially 3 110 Ohm to 75 Ohm isolation transformers (since legacy BNC / DIN connectors exist on the G65)
Would be nice to see that priced to something more sensible - a quarter of the cost would still seem overpriced for the component cost.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
|
|
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88 |
AC12 has always been ludicrously priced.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001 Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001 Likes: 10 |
AC12 has always been ludicrously priced. That's OK then, I'll take two.  I wish M would release a new 512 type adapter now, one that displays the volume, they could even include one if someone buys a pair of 3200s or 3300s.
No Darling, I've had it months!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 156
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 156 |
It seems we are in a transition phase for Meridian products. I also am going to wait to see what new devices emerge. I doubt Meridian will release MQA support for any more current products than the ones now supported in recent firmware updates. Wish they would release MQA support for my 861V4  No doubt there will be a new 861v9(?), and HD621 which supports MQA. But how will it support DTS:X /Atmos as current models only processes PCM. Whereas these new formats are embedded in the bitstream.
861v4 LPSU, HD621, Sony HW40, PMC AML2, PMC IB2SA Centre - Triamped via Wyred4Sound MMC, PMC Wafer2 surr, PMC SB100 Sub & Wyred4Sound SX-1000, Dune HD MAX. Oppo BDP-105D Signature. Mede8ER 600X3D Marantz CD94/CDA94. Rotel RB-1562, LG 65" OLED. IPL Acoustics STL5. Virgin Tivo. HifiMan HE-1000/Audio-GD M9. Stax SR-007/KGSSHV Carbon.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895 |
Being as the 861v4 is many years old, it seems iffy to expect they will update to support MQA. That being said, they have kept the old bird alive for a while, providing power supply updates and access now to the ID40 (and 41?).
Now, if I was to have purchased a G65 and was told it wouldn't work, then I would be fighting mad. This as I believe the G65 and Prime came out roughly around the same time and the Prime had the foresight to include accommodation for MQA.
M seems to just walk to the beat of their own drum. With fits and spasms that sometimes ooze customer awareness/service and then sometimes the opposite. Who knows if or when you will actually get the chance to take delivery of a next 861 variant. You could grow old waiting for it. They clearly known (based on this and other feedback) what they need to do, to remain competitive in the $$$ range.
Last edited by Yetis; 2016-02-09 21:26.
Primary: MD600, MS200 (SpeakerLink to AES), Trinnov ST-2, Ayre V6-xe, Salk SS8 3x LRC. Secondary: MC600 (whole house). Zone one: 568.2, G57, MS200, Spatial Hologram M2SE. Zone 2-6 (Awaiting assignment).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 156
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 156 |
Looking at your signature of equipment, I guess the waiting game explains why you have replaced your 861 for something else  I do not know if the ID41 works with 861v4. We know the ID40 definitely does.
861v4 LPSU, HD621, Sony HW40, PMC AML2, PMC IB2SA Centre - Triamped via Wyred4Sound MMC, PMC Wafer2 surr, PMC SB100 Sub & Wyred4Sound SX-1000, Dune HD MAX. Oppo BDP-105D Signature. Mede8ER 600X3D Marantz CD94/CDA94. Rotel RB-1562, LG 65" OLED. IPL Acoustics STL5. Virgin Tivo. HifiMan HE-1000/Audio-GD M9. Stax SR-007/KGSSHV Carbon.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895 |
Right you are. As an analog user, the merits of hanging on for an 861 replacement seemed limited at best.
Primary: MD600, MS200 (SpeakerLink to AES), Trinnov ST-2, Ayre V6-xe, Salk SS8 3x LRC. Secondary: MC600 (whole house). Zone one: 568.2, G57, MS200, Spatial Hologram M2SE. Zone 2-6 (Awaiting assignment).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 48
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 48 |
I am one of many waiting to see where the 861 MQA issue ends up. I have just recently started using Sooloos. I have my MS200 hooked up thru the optical input on my 861 for Trifield and am considering hooking directly to my 8k's for 2 channel. I don't see much point in adding an ID40 at this point not knowing what Meridian's plan is for the future of the 861v4 and MQA. I have always be as big a fan for movies as music and am looking forward to Meridian offering me the best of both worlds. Hope we won't be waiting much longer.
Main: 800 with LPS, 861v4, 818v3,8000.1SE, 96/24-6k C, 96/24-5k sides, DSP33 rears, M2500 + Velodyne 12", QNAP-MS600, Ruby, PS3, HD621, Oppo. Games room: G68J, HD621, M33's front, analog ceilings rear, Velodyne 10" LR- 6k 24/96, MS200, 800 with LPS
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941 Likes: 9
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941 Likes: 9 |
Right you are. As an analog user, the merits of hanging on for an 861 replacement seemed limited at best. But when the ultra-low jitter architecture of the new 818/808 is introduced to the new 861 that alone will be a very worthwhile improvement apart from any support for MQA or new codecs.
Asa Post
|
|
|
|
1 members (MVirgil),
215
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,201
Posts297,161
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|