Originally Posted by GMT
How may years would you give MQA to reach mainstream levels?
This is a very interesting question and not an easy one to answer. One thing that is clear to me is that it does appear that, in general, *artists* do care about (a) audio quality and (b) connecting with fans. The idea of MQA as a broadcast standard is not lost on Bob at all; I wonder if we'll see the likes of Coldplay or Muse gigs streamed live to IMAX (for instance)? I wonder how close to "being there" the experience might be? I wonder if we might be surprised?

The other thing is that, according to Bob [yes, again], the benefits of MQA will be audible in most equipment and, in five years time, *potentially* most equipment (including phones) could be capable of decoded MQA playback. The real trick is getting Joe Sixpack to move from "free" to paid subscription music. Do we count subscribers to Apple Music as "mainstream" (because that's already happening)?

[I've got my glass half-full hat on today]


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.