Chris - your experience coincides with mine - see previous posting from a few days ago below:
I have been listening to the MQA album I bought last week. My 818v3, which is not yet MQA compatible, has been playing the album as if it was a 16/44 album and, contrary to what I wrote last week, upsamples the album to 24/88. It is a very impressive sound, even at this level, and could easily be mistaken for a high res album even though only the lower bits are being accessed. In other words, even without MQA decoding, the sound is definitely better than CD quality. I know this because I have also bought the 16/44 FLAC version and made the comparison. Once we get the firmware upgrade (please, can it be soon?) we will be able to hear MQA in its full glory.
The MQA album referred to is the Dena Piano Duo album from the 2L website - I would say the effect is very easy to hear on relatively simple piano music such as this. Much less mush around the leading edges and generally much better defined reproduction.
Nic, have you tried a classical MQA album yet? I'd be interested in your views.
Kevin