Originally Posted by VirusKiller
AFAIK, encryption is not a part or MQA. If it was then I think that it would be the least of our worries: the studios would still be hung up on DRM. That they are not suggests to me that they accept that the MQA files will end up on the web; which is somewhat surprising, unless the big studios are planning to allow streaming of MQA *only* and there are technical safeguards (such as TIDAL only being securely streamable to known reputable providers). However, I don't think that this would be enforceable, and the studios are simply relying on the income from "HiRes" streaming subscriptions from the "honest" segment of the target audience.

As far as MHR is concerned, encryption was indeed the headline feature; however it was always more than that. Not so long ago I was talking to RIchard Hollinshead and he felt it was a shame that the *audio* benefits of MHR (eliminating correlated jitter in coaxial SPDIF transfer) never really got the press they deserved.

Agreed. I will be impossible to stop MQA files being posted on the web (just a fact of life nowadays).

However, If an MQA file is streamed to the Auralic Aries and the SPDIF output really is decoded MQA without encryption (= PCM) it should be playable on all high res DACs in its original resolution. I think this is quite a big deal as it will open up the possibility of relatively cheap MQA decoders being placed upstream of older non-MQA compatible DACs. This would bring many many old DACs into the MQA net.

It also begs the question of what the SPDIF outputs of the 818v3 will output when an MQA track is played. With MHR enabled for the Meridian ecosphere it will be encrypted and not playable on third party DACs. But is there any reason why, with MHR turned off, it could not be a standard high res PCM output? I'm not holding my breath, but it is the logical extension of what appears to be happening with the Auralic device.



Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS
2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1
Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit