logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 45 1 2 … 6 7 8 9 10 … 44 45
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 149
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 149
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by JobSeeker
I see that Paul Stephenson from Naim says MQA has potential, but doesn't make the grade on sound quality in his opinion. Mind you, the M & N philosophies are pretty far apart in many ways.
I do wonder if the extra processing might affect the musicality, as some experience between CD players and streamers and FLAC/ WAV. From discussion with Richard Hollinshead, where the different parts of that processing occurs could make a big difference on the ultimate experience.

As I am still using a 20 year old CD player, I am pretty confident that MQA wil deliver what I want from digital for a streaming solution. Bring on CES!


F80
Altus #244248 2015-12-24 13:37
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 651
Likes: 3
Huw Offline
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 651
Likes: 3
Ha, Bob's last words on this video were "live in Hope"...
Regards
Huw


#1 52KSE 218 LG OLED Sony BRay, Sonos Beam 2
#2 52KSE 218 Pana LED Zenith 2 Naim Muso2
#3 Teac X1 CD, G68, 562v3 518 568 556 G98DH 5K,5KHC 24/96,MS600,Systemdek I920, Ortofon M520, Synthèse Floating 2 Thorens TD160 Ortofon M15e Pioneer DAT Panny Plasma,Humax,BRay.
#4 Panasonic 4K LED Sonos Beam 2
#5 F80 MS200 iDock Sonos Move
#6 MS200 5K 24/96
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Originally Posted by MagnusB
Originally Posted by Altus
For those that haven't watched the video, in response to a question on the availability of MQA Bob S clearly states that "between now and the end of this year" there will be "several places offering downloads of (MQA) files" that can be played.

Somehow I don't think that will happen this year, but it's a good sign!

The 2L website has numerous MQA tracks available for download and we are still in 2015 (sound of hats being eaten).


Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS
2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1
Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 166
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 166
2 L is one of my favorite music label in a long time. Yesterday I loaded 2 beautiful album in MQA quality down. The music is wonderful - but the sound comes in CD quality - 16/44. A download in hires 24/96 have been better! But I wanted a MQA test. Now it's up to Meridian - because neither my 861V4 brings new MQA quality on my DSP 8000SE, nor can I bring on the Mac and Explorer 2 something - because the firmware upgrade is missing. Maybe we have to wait until early CES or earlier still surprised.


M since 1980 - Series 100! Main: 861v8, 818v3, UHD722, 2-DSP8000SE, DSP5500HC, 4-DSP6000 S, DSP6000 R, Oppo 203 4K, MacMini M1 16GB-Roon 4TB SSD, NVIDIA Shield, Sony VPL-VW500-4K, Samsung OLED 77-4K, iPad Pro, Turntable: Acoustic-Solid Royal/Ortofon SPU Royal N, PPA Quad P24
2.: G92DAB, 2-DSP3100,3-DSP33, M1500, MacMini+Explorer2 3TB SSD, MS200-Roon
Duke #244395 2015-12-29 07:25
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
I have just downloaded the following album from the 2L website:

[Linked Image]

It loaded on my Sooloos store (QNAP NAS) with no problems and played through my 818v3 via ID41. However, the 818v3 display is only showing "PCM 44K" whereas I expected to see "MQA" somewhere on the display. I suspect the 818v3 is not recognising that this is a MQA file and simply playing the 44K layer. I had thought that the 818v3 was fully MQA ready but this suggests otherwise.

Note also the pricing structure of the 2L website - the MQA album was $24.00 and sits at the lower end of the hi res pricing structure. More expensive that plain vanilla 24/96 but cheaper than 24/192 and DSD/DXD.

Further tests to follow later today - all input on whether the 818v3 still needs a firmware upgrade gratefully received.


Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS
2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1
Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
Altus #244398 2015-12-29 08:24
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
MQA paid downloads are 44kHz files? That's confused me. I thought they would be 96kHz. Better wait for clarification, I guess....


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Altus #244400 2015-12-29 08:29
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 166
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 166
Originally Posted by Altus
I have just downloaded the following album from the 2L website:

[Linked Image]

It loaded on my Sooloos store (QNAP NAS) with no problems and played through my 818v3 via ID41. However, the 818v3 display is only showing "PCM 44K" whereas I expected to see "MQA" somewhere on the display. I suspect the 818v3 is not recognising that this is a MQA file and simply playing the 44K layer. I had thought that the 818v3 was fully MQA ready but this suggests otherwise.

Note also the pricing structure of the 2L website - the MQA album was $24.00 and sits at the lower end of the hi res pricing structure. More expensive that plain vanilla 24/96 but cheaper than 24/192 and DSD/DXD.

Further tests to follow later today - all input on whether the 818v3 still needs a firmware upgrade gratefully received.

The pricing policy of 2L, I also found interesting - MQA as second deepest classification? Now - good for us!
What really surprised me that even you with the 818v3 do not get displayed and play MQA!
Welcome in the waiting room at doctor Meridian! ;-)

Something Special - MQA is shipped from distributors and Meridian as a developer does not have its own equipment ready!

Greetings from Switzerland

Stefan


M since 1980 - Series 100! Main: 861v8, 818v3, UHD722, 2-DSP8000SE, DSP5500HC, 4-DSP6000 S, DSP6000 R, Oppo 203 4K, MacMini M1 16GB-Roon 4TB SSD, NVIDIA Shield, Sony VPL-VW500-4K, Samsung OLED 77-4K, iPad Pro, Turntable: Acoustic-Solid Royal/Ortofon SPU Royal N, PPA Quad P24
2.: G92DAB, 2-DSP3100,3-DSP33, M1500, MacMini+Explorer2 3TB SSD, MS200-Roon
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Originally Posted by Ludwig
MQA paid downloads are 44kHz files? That's confused me. I thought they would be 96kHz. Better wait for clarification, I guess....
Possibly - but this would be a lost marketing opportunity. Is it not more likely that the files are not playing as full fat MQA because of a firmware issue?

Nic - could you download an album and replicate the problem on your 818v3 through SE DSPs? I have tried with MHR turned on (and off) in my analogue system.


Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS
2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1
Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 149
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 149
Likes: 1
It has been confirmed elsewhere on the forum that all the current Meridian MQA capable products were shipped with a 0.9 firmware version. They need to be 1.0 which is due soon. MQA is packaged up in a 24/48 box and will play as 16/44 without a decoder. Xanavi in another thread, is claiming an improvement over 24/96 that is possibly due to the de-blurring that happens to the master, which benefits standard resolution as Bob has talked about.


F80
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Originally Posted by En1omb
It has been confirmed elsewhere on the forum that all the current Meridian MQA capable products were shipped with a 0.9 firmware version. They need to be 1.0 which is due soon. MQA is packaged up in a 24/48 box and will play as 16/44 without a decoder.
I must have missed this, which flatly contradicts what I was told when I upgraded to 818v3. Can you point out these posts please?

Last edited by Altus; 2015-12-29 09:42. Reason: Typo

Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS
2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1
Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
Altus #244409 2015-12-29 09:45
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
I can't point to a source online but I know from an excellent source that a firmware update will be necessary.

I didn't hear any dates, but I suspect it's round the corner, especially with CES in 10 days.


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Great. Another piece of marketing excellence.


Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS
2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1
Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
Page 8 of 45 1 2 … 6 7 8 9 10 … 44 45

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, MQA_List, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (ncpl, SpaceJS), 266 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,172
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.051s Queries: 38 (0.027s) Memory: 0.9033 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-06 09:40:33 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS