Originally Posted by Minimalism
Ian, are you saying that connecting an ID41 to a gigabit switch is better than direct into the router? Is it due to the RFI or EM from the wifi signal?
Best practice is Sooloos connected to a switch, then switch to the router. This less about AQ reasons, but for reliability.

For transparency in my views, for me, state of health/ears/brain/stress and environment/time of day/background noise have far more impact on AQ than any cabling - I have yet to hear any worthwhile difference in AQ on Meridian kit via digital cable since my 200 series - a very positive benefit to the bank balance and sanity.

The best type of switch, is NO switch (which is what I suggested to George/MrMeridian), the second best type of switch is a basic unmanaged 10/100 switch, i.e. not a gigabit switch and certainly not a managed or smart switch (unless you know what you are going). The reason for 10/100 is that all dedicated Meridian audio endpoints are 100Mbs - the understanding is that Meridian decided that 100Ms was better than 1GB - it makes sense but I have no proof. However, in some scenarios, typically backing up discs, 100Mbs *may* be a limitation for some, at least on initial backup, although, IMHO, probably not for further increments. This is why Sooloos kit with disks are Gigabit networked - I guess convenience outweighed AQ purity.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).