After 3 months of running Roon I only have one real drawback and that's the frequency that something misbehaves and the chosen music doesn't play. It's always (touch wood) been very short term and sorted with a bit of fiddling but it means that it's not family friendly, the wife and son stick to Sooloos and most often the Tidal app because they just want something that's click and play.
This week the issue was some (not all) Tidal tracks and playlists not playing. As usual they played fine in Tidal itself and re-syncing the library didn't immediately fix it. Eventually after disabling Tidal completely then enabling and doing another re-sync, that took much longer than usual, the problem went away but I can't confidently say what actually fixed it or even if anything I did cured it, it could just as easily have been an external issue that fixed itself.
The other frequent hiccups are; loosing track of the end points - requesting you to select an audio zone, because it's lost the one that was playing, the "waiting for remote library" message, both of which can take anything from a few seconds to a couple of minutes to sort themselves out and music to begin, and the most common - mid stream silences (while I assume the music is buffering?), that doesn't occur when I use exactly the same zone and path with Tidal via AirPlay.
For me, the additional information available and searchability of Roon make my purchase worthwhile but it's all enough to put off those who just expect to listen to their music, when they can listen hiccup free to Tidal via the same Meridian and AirPlay end points and most often on their iPads and iPhones themselves.
Geoff
861v4-LPS, ID40, MC200, Roon, Tidal DSP7000, DSP5200HC, DSP5000.3, Oracle Delphi IV, SME V, Dynavector DV17mk3. Mac Mini(2010), Synology NAS/Plex Server Schitt Lyr, Audeze LCD-2, Sennheiser HD800, Beyer Terminator v4. Oppo BDP-93/Vanity93Lite, Sony PW-10, Grandview 100" screen
|