logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
RBM #239810 2015-09-11 18:49
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
I have also had Roon and Sooloos since the beta days and have never noticed a difference via MS200's.
For all practical purposes they are the same IMHO just enjoy the music. Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Ratbert
Unregistered
Ratbert
Unregistered
+1

Russ

RBM #239909 2015-09-14 11:53
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 33
BLH Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 33
My configuration is different from my Sooloos, but I'm only doing a test drive. Since my Roon setup is somewhat inferior to my Sooloos setup it wasn't surprising that my Roon SQ wasn't as good as my Sooloos. I also invited my spouse and cousin to chime in. My spouse is a professional trombone player and cousin is an audiologist and music lover. I'm only an audiophile! My spouse thought the "shimmer" of cymbals and tone of horns wasn't as accurate as the Sooloos. My cousin thought the Sooloos had better sound-staging. However, it's important to note that BOTH thought the sound from Roon and Sooloos were very good.

It's clear the interface of Roon is superior. In the not too distant future I will no doubt retire/sell my Sooloos, but at the moment I will use both. Before I jump full in I want to see what the high-end manufacturers will bring to the table with hardware. I also want the software to mature a bit more.


Control:10, TwinStore, Lyngdorf DPA-1 Preamp, Linn Klimax Stereo Amp, Piega TC 70X speakers, QNAP TS-451 8TB.

Roon setup (temporary): 2009 Macbook Pro with a 1TB Hibred Drive and 4Gigs of RAM, Peachtree Audio T1 USB to SPDIF. FLAC files are kept on the QNAP TS-451 NAS. I use Rosewill (Newegg) Cat-7 Ethernet Cable on all connections.
BLH #239915 2015-09-14 14:10
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
Am curious....

Your sig only lists C10 as a Sooloos source component. What is your audio path there ?
It looks like your Roon path was Mac to USB/SPDIF converter and on to ???. This won't be in your Sooloos path I expect. Both MAC and converter will be contributing some noise and or jitter.

My hunch is that there are quite a few variables in the comparison.

Anyone using networked end-points (MS200/MS600 or ID40/ID41) tend to report that the SQ is the same or indistinguishable.


Rgds,
Nick


ncpl #239921 2015-09-14 15:54
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
I haven't heard any difference, using quite a healthy variety of endpoints.


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 958
Likes: 5
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 958
Likes: 5
Originally Posted by Ludwig
I haven't heard any difference, using quite a healthy variety of endpoints.
I can hear no difference in my NC home in Direct and Trifield modes. All Meridian and Roon hardware and software are connected to the same network switch played thru ID40 card in 861.v4 to non-SpeakerLink DSPs. 2 channel thru DSP8000s.

Roon storage on Iomega 2 Bay NAS with 2 2TB drives and and running Roon on a refurb HP Envy 23" all in one (i3 processor).

Sooloos store/core on HD600 with 2 3TB drives.

This is based on long terming listening to both in Direct and Trifield modes. They both sound so good (and identical) to me, it is counterproductive to search for imagined (or real) irritants.

Others have noted the obvious; Roon is by far the better overall interface. I believe it will improve/add/change/subtract fairly rapidly, especially compared to M's Sooloos core software (not that there's anything wrong with that.


James
NC1: 861v8, ID41, 218, 251(to outdoors), DSP8000SEUG, 7200SEC, DSP520 rears, Apple TV, DirecTV, Oppo BD103, QNAP251, Roon
NC2-M7005, Triad Silver Speakers,Acurus Amps

FL1: 861v4, ID40, 218, MS200, DSP8000SEs, DSP7200SEC, DSP5000s, DirecTv, AppleTv, OppoBD103, QNAP469, Roon
FL2: Marantz 7005, 251, M60s,60C,33s, Oppo BDP-93,MS200, Roon
ncpl #239943 2015-09-15 08:55
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 33
BLH Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 33
I'm using 2009 Macbook Pro with a 1TB Hibred Drive and 4Gigs of RAM and Peachtree Audio T1 USB to SPDIF (I think this is the weakest link) and the then feeds the Lyngdorf DPA-1 "digital in". My FLAC files are on a QNAP NAS. The digital cable and the USB are both DH Labs Silver Sonics.

As I said a difference can be heard, but the sound is VERY good! I do see Roon as the future interface. It's the hardware that's my issue. I'd like to have a dedicated NUC, as my Macbook has iTunes running my as a video server. I'll also get a better converter for the USB to SPDIF.

Perspective is required here. I'm just doing a test drive and I don't have an optimum equipment setup. Given that, Roon sounds terrific.


Control:10, TwinStore, Lyngdorf DPA-1 Preamp, Linn Klimax Stereo Amp, Piega TC 70X speakers, QNAP TS-451 8TB.

Roon setup (temporary): 2009 Macbook Pro with a 1TB Hibred Drive and 4Gigs of RAM, Peachtree Audio T1 USB to SPDIF. FLAC files are kept on the QNAP TS-451 NAS. I use Rosewill (Newegg) Cat-7 Ethernet Cable on all connections.
BLH #239946 2015-09-15 10:31
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Hi BLH,

I think you know this already from reading your post, but I'd just like to make it clear for other readers.

Comparing the C10 vs. Peachtree Audio, is fine but it is not comparing Roon vs. Sooloos AQ as the most critical component the "DAC" is different.

To compare the Audio Quality of the Roon vs. Sooloos software application the system needs to use the same Audio Endpoint so that means streaming to a Sooloos endpoint (C10, C15, MS200, MS600, ID40, ID41) and then switching between the Sooloos and Roon applications.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Carl #239952 2015-09-15 12:33
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 33
BLH Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 33
Agreed Carl,

It isn't a direct comparison, nor was it meant specifically to be that. Hence the "test drive". And as I said, Roon sounds very good.

Because Roon has to be used via a computer (my first big jump into true computer audio) it wasn't possible for me to perform a truly unbiased comparison. However, many audiophiles here on Unplugged do and hear no difference in SQ.

Roon is v1.1, so is my equipment. Each will evolve over time and the sound will incrementally improve. I'm pleased with my test drive and love the Roon interface. Roon had me at Sooloos.


Control:10, TwinStore, Lyngdorf DPA-1 Preamp, Linn Klimax Stereo Amp, Piega TC 70X speakers, QNAP TS-451 8TB.

Roon setup (temporary): 2009 Macbook Pro with a 1TB Hibred Drive and 4Gigs of RAM, Peachtree Audio T1 USB to SPDIF. FLAC files are kept on the QNAP TS-451 NAS. I use Rosewill (Newegg) Cat-7 Ethernet Cable on all connections.
BLH #239961 2015-09-15 19:37
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
The insertion of an MS200 into your audio chain (use the SL output to balanced digital input on the Lyngdorf) ought to give you a very worthwhile uplift in SQ in Sooloos and would allow you to make the Sooloos/ Roon comparision directly.


Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS
2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1
Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
Altus #239964 2015-09-15 22:36
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 35
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 35
The Roon lads are ready to release an endpoint of their own. Roon Speakers, which will as rumours go be able to be installed on a Raspberry Pi 2. You could be looking at a very cheap alternative to Meridian's end points, just a Raspberry Pi with an IS2C Hifiberry into a DAC.


Naim NAC 202, Naim NAP 200, NAPSC, Chord 2Qute, B&W CM6 s2, Mac mini Roon Server, pi3 roon transport with allo digione.

Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 33
BLH Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 33
There are just so many GREAT things possible on the horizon.

I really don't want to jump too soon! A Rasberry Pi would be easy and cheap though. I actually have a v1.0 for the Pi. I think I'll just wait until next year...if I can really wait that long!

But hey, a guy has to tinker, right?

Brian


Control:10, TwinStore, Lyngdorf DPA-1 Preamp, Linn Klimax Stereo Amp, Piega TC 70X speakers, QNAP TS-451 8TB.

Roon setup (temporary): 2009 Macbook Pro with a 1TB Hibred Drive and 4Gigs of RAM, Peachtree Audio T1 USB to SPDIF. FLAC files are kept on the QNAP TS-451 NAS. I use Rosewill (Newegg) Cat-7 Ethernet Cable on all connections.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 371 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,184
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.046s Queries: 40 (0.025s) Memory: 0.8877 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 05:45:00 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS