Originally Posted by Ronnie
Thanks for posting those very interesting observations Asa

However, I do wonder if this thread of "Ethernet Cables" is the best thread to post your observations??

Pedantic I know, but still importantly IMHO... you used all the cables mentioned as AES/EBU Digital cables to connect your 808 to your D8kSE's.

And as you know, in that application, none of Ethernet's inherent advantages of Check-Sums; Error Correction and Data Retransmission would then be used in the "Speakerlink" connection from 808v5 to DSP's.

It doesn't change the validity of your findings in any way... but it is worth stating again that while your findings are certainly relevant to audio data transferred via AES/EBU... but may not apply to audio data transferred via Ethernet protocols.

I agree with your points and of course understand the difference between an Ethernet cable and a SpeakerLink cable. The confusion to which you refer is of course heightened by Chord explicitly labelling their cables as Ethernet. I have merely been using their Ethernet cables for SpeakerLink purposes.

Should you borrow some cables for SpeakerLink purposes you need to specify that they are being used as SpeakerLink. I have been told that Meridian do not use standard configuration for the connections.


Asa Post