logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Very reassuring to see the flashing Green Envelope again.

Better than "being between the devil and the deep blue sea". JMO

Hector


AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD.
DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG.
STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i
HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini
A capella to Zydeco
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Originally Posted by Crion
But I also need to put Roon on a separate server because the SQ trails my pimped MC200 right now when Roon just have been installed on my gaming rig.
Assuming your main listening room is thru your 861v8 / ID41, then why would Roon [on your gaming PC] sound different than your "pimped" MC200???


-
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036
I'm waiting for the iOS app before making a final judgement. I'm not sure I really need such a rich metadata experience. It would have been fine if included in something like Sooloos 3 at no cost (those in the know say that was never going to happen, but I never saw anything suggesting that prior to the Roon spinoff) but I'm not 100% sure I need it enough to pay for it. The lifetime payment is relatively small I guess when averaged out, so I may go for it and simply keep a dual option. The other minor inconvenience is running both a NAS and another computer just to run Roon on in my situation. My standard computer won't run it, so I have to use my laptop, though that isn't perfect either. Having spent a lot on an MD600, I don't really want to spend a fair bit on another computer just for the sake of running Roon.


.
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 297
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 297
I tried Roon but the interface is not the way I want to search for music or set up my queues. As I have no PC to run the Sooloos Configuration program I have no means of turning off my Sooloos endpoints and giving that to Roon. I will keep an open mind as I wait to see if MQA turns out to be a viable option. Then I will make a final decision.


Jim
Wilson Alexandrea X2 Series 2
D'Agostino Momentum M-400 Amps & Pre Amp
dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler & Clock
SME 20/3 & Esoteric E-03
Transparent OPUS SC & Interconnects
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
If I run Roon now, after the latest update, with the Sooloos MC200 core running. The zones disappear from Sooloos and are found in Roon including the MC200.

This then plays perfectly.

After I shut down Roon, all the zones are back on my Core control app and play perfectly.

It looks like only one system can have the zones at a time and Roon overrides Sooloos.

I have not had to reboot any Sooloos components as yet.

My music for each system is on different drives. TwinStore for Sooloos and an Icey box USB 3 to laptop for Roon.

Hope this helps. Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian
Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by Rolski
Perhaps even more pedantic : do you "not" have Sooloos (perhaps you have another "streaming" service hooked-up to your Meridian gear - like SqueezeServer / LMS for example) and are you trialling / have you subscribed to Roon....? smirk
Not pedantic, just not what I was asking.

The clue is in the title and forum context it was posted in. It's about moving FROM Sooloos, not to Roon. I don't care that people have moved to Roon, just curious who chose Roon over Sooloos.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 460
Likes: 18
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 460
Likes: 18
I'm sticking with Soolos and Tidal for now.
I did trial Roon and it looked good but I never got it to work with my MC200.

When the whole story around MQA and future Meridian products is more clear we'll see but for now everything is just too unclear to take any steps forward for me.


Main: Marantz Cinema 50, Meridian 271, DSP7200.2, DSP5200HC, DSP5000 rears, Meridian 210.
PC/Headphones: Mytek Liberty II, Sansui CA-F1, Sansui B-2301, Sennheiser HD800, Kef R3

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 318
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 318
Likes: 1
Have already moved to Roon and ditched the MC200.

I already had a suitable PC to hand to host my server and it means that I get improved functionality and have recoved the value of my MC200, which was promptly used to pay for the replacement LPS in my 861v4, annual subscription to Roon and some more music. It's the first system upgrade I've done in a while which was completely cost neutral.


861v4/ID40/LPS, HD621, Roon, BAT VK-600se, Impulse Ta'us. Director/Heed Canamp with HD600s.
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Originally Posted by Ronnie
Originally Posted by Crion
But I also need to put Roon on a separate server because the SQ trails my pimped MC200 right now when Roon just have been installed on my gaming rig.
Assuming your main listening room is thru your 861v8 / ID41, then why would Roon [on your gaming PC] sound different than your "pimped" MC200?
Probably with similar reason that I found replacing the wall-wart SMPS of the MC200 with a medical-grade high-quality SMPS improved/affected the resulting SQ out of the ID41/861v8 slightly. Of course this can't be true if bits are bits but could perhaps be explained by lower EMI/RFI, better grounding of the PSU etc.

It's sort of those poor audioreview fellows that put in AQ Vodka/Diamond in their audioserver/endpoint chain and really want it to be no difference in SQ but have to confess that it actually affected the end SQ result.

A careful Audiostream AQ Vodka/Diamond review


DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 726
Likes: 15
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 726
Likes: 15
Please stop the world, it's time to get off....


Trinnov Altitude CI-12; Meridian 861v8 + ID41 + UHD722v2 + 271, 2*SE-update DSP8.2Ks, SE-update DSP7200HC, 4*DSP3200, 4*DSP33, 218, 251
JVC DLA-NZ8; Panasonic TX-P60ZT60E; Lumagen Radiance Pro 5348
Roon [13i7 Win.11 NUC]; SKY Q; Oppo UDP-203EU; AppleTV / Fire Cube / Roku / NVidia
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 63
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 63
One thing about Roon that bothers me is, will it still be going in 3 or 4 years time? Meridian, Linn, Naim etc all have hardware to backup and support software but Roon is just a software company and an expensive one at that.

If they can't keep enough subscribers then they are likely to fold.


5200, 818v3, MD600
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 242
TD4 Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 242
Fortunate to have both.

Sticking with Sooloos via the MD600, but will give Roon a try with a HP Touch Screen PC & QNAP which I'm currently setting up.

I will decide on the future when we know for certain the direction Meridian takes.

Del (TD4)


Man Cave planned 2020/21 ( Almost completed )

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,181
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.065s Queries: 39 (0.027s) Memory: 0.8866 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-07 21:47:33 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS