Originally Posted by Ian
Does the lifetime subscription include all future updates or is it open ended and future enhancements cost extra? I.e. could promised extras like MQA or DSD end up costing?
The accurate answer to that is beyond "lifetime data service" I don't know!

I suppose it is something of an excercise of faith as with any "lifetime" membership. All they have to do is come out with a new product and obsolete the current Roon software and lifetime means nothing. At the end of the day you have to trust the supplier, equally the supplier is at some risk if it p***es off its loyal followers.

What I do know is that just about every room in my house is now playing different music (arrgh!) and it is an instant hit with the family who were completely into it within seconds in a way that Sooloos/Control:PC never did. The metadata is miles better and stuff like bio's and lyrics is just candy on top.

I think these Roon guys are really onto something and a bit like a Kickstarter I am happy to donate to the cause. Time will tell if it is a wise investment.

Inversely I think it can really help Meridian (even if there are short term frustrations). I am not convinced they ever got hold of the furiously rapid cycles of software development and increasingly Sooloos (software) seemed to be in the doldrums, the only recent flicker of light was the inclusion of NAS.

Freeing them of this pressure will allow them to focus on what they are truly good at, excellent audio hardware and really revolutionary audio reasearch leading to products such as MQA which I view as a stunning achievement for which imho a Sir Bob is in order in due course. John Buchanan already seems to be signalling a shift in style at Meridian and I wish him and all at M well. For sure I will remain an M customer in the future.


G61R, 5K5's (fronts & centre), 5K's (sides & rears), D2500, JVC DLA-X70, QNAP, Roon(Pi)