It's been a while since I posted here, but seeing the brave comments from Mwiebelhaus and Crion, based on their experience, I thought I'd share my own experience with Ethernet cables.

I've been using CAT 7 cables on the SpeakerLink runs between 808v5 and 7200s for a couple of years, but the right-hand cable went faulty a few weeks ago. I was thinking about buying some of Meridian's own CAT 7 cable, but thought I'd look (or rather listen to) other options at the same time. I've experimented with different grades of Ethernet cables on my SpeakerLink runs in the past. While the improvements weren't jaw-dropping, there were audible improvements between CAT 5 and CAT 6, and the CAT 7 brought readily discernible gains in openness and coherence.

So I tried some high quality CAT 7 cable, not an audiophile cable, just a high quality one (same type as I use on the 20m run from my MD600 to 808v5). As a bit of a punt, I asked my dealer if they could get me a demo set of AQ Vodkas and they got me a set in a few days.

I was hoping the difference in the Vodkas over good quality CAT 7 would be marginal, as it would save me quite a lot of money, head-scratching and perhaps a little abuse. Well, the unexpected embuggerance was that the Vodkas made a big difference in my system. The dealer let me keep the cables for three weeks, so there was plenty of time to listen properly and understand the differences. In my system the key changes are:
1. A richer, warmer and more natural sound
2. An real increase in speed and dynamics
3. Much wider and more coherent soundstage, with significantly more detail and control
4. A more musical and involving sound overall

I wouldn't suggest that everyone will experience the same level of benefit. My system has had quite a lot of honing, with dedicated mains, balanced power feeding the MD600, mechanical isolation etc. But in any well-sorted system around this level of quality (800 series, 7200 or 5200 etc.) I think you'd hear a very noticeable musical gain.

I didn't try the AQ cables either side of the Vodka (Forrest, Pearl, Diamond etc.) so can't comment on their relative impact on the music. Nor did I try the toe-curlingly expensive Chord Company 'Tuned Array' cables.

In the AQ range, the cost of AQ Diamonds is prohibitive for me, whereas the Vodkas, while hardly cheap, produce a very significant gain across many aspects of the music. With my system and my ears, it's not something I can do without now: the music is just much more involving. So I've ordered a set at the right lengths for my setup to replace the demo set.

Theory and preconceptions can sometimes get a little in the way of things. If you have good system and get a lot of joy from your music, borrow a set and experience them for yourself. You can't loose out from this experience, other than perhaps taking up some of your time installing the cables and listening to music.

Please don't shoot me for posting my experience. I'm sharing it because my system makes more involving music now and I think some people on the forum might experience the same enjoyment.


808v5, MD600 & DSP7200.1
Dedicated audio mains supply