logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 185
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 185
It's occurred to me that most people have uneven views of spending. There is a lot of agonizing of the $100/year cost of Roon and $250/year cost of Tidal and of reusing Sooloos components for Roon because of the existing investment.

But then, I read of people's libraries. Somebody claims 25,000 albums: at an average of $20, that's half a million dollars. Someone had 4,000 albums, that's $80,000, same as a pair of DSP8000SEs.

I have only 1,500 albums, but that still means I spent more on music than on all the Sooloos gear (C10, MD600, 2xMS600).

Which is as it should be, it is about the music, the gear is just the vehicle for enjoying that music.


Music room: 818v3, DSP8000SE, Roon/Intel NUC, microRendu/LPS-1 into Geek Pulse Xfi into Audeze LCD-3
HT: G61R, HD621, MS600, Oppo, Avantgarde Solo
Library: MS600, Bel Canto, Mark & Daniel
Other: SonicOrbiter, GeekOut, Audeze EL-8
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Some of us plumb the depths of Charity shops and Car Boot Sales for music.
You never know what you will find. Today I had The Best of Harry Nilsson, Stan Getz & Jimmy Raney live in 1951 plus. The Soul detectives ( a local to me group) all for the princely sum of £2.23

And so my collection grows.

The prices you quote makes you appreciate the value of Tidal though.

Thoughts, Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
Please let's not have a thread that reminds me exactly just how much I have spent on hardware and content laugh

Alternatively...

It's Friday evening (where I am). It's been a busy week. I have a beer and some utterly stunning tunes.

Worth every penny !!!


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 245
+1 grin



Roon, MS600, Simaudio 780D, Simaudio P-8/W-8 and Revel Studio 2s

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (YankinYork), 433 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
GMT 6
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,201
Posts297,161
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.037s Queries: 23 (0.017s) Memory: 0.8355 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-04 20:12:45 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS