I agree with Ian in the sense that I thought I was paying for a turnkey, premium system, and, while I do find Sooloos works well in terms of the networking aspect and responsiveness, I also agree with Ronnie and Altus that it doesn't quite deliver a true turnkey solution on several other counts.
Many of the things I find most irritating in Sooloos appear, on the face of it, to be much better handled in Roon, and Ronnie is completely correct when he mentions it's a much more modern approach to software- users having access to the developers for support, etc.
I'm almost being convinced this is the way to go, despite extra cost, but am still hesitant to move before definitively knowing in what way Meridian might have done some kind of Roon/Sooloos 3 deal for existing customers which might offer me the best of both worlds (particularly if it does maximise the use of existing Sooloos hardware).
Hopefully we might hear something definitive soon...!
HC: 861v4/ID40/LPS, DSP5000, DSP5000VC, DSP3100, SW1600, HD621, Oppo BDP-105, Sony VPL-HW55ES 2-Channel: Oppo BDP-105, TEAC VRDS-7/Trichord Clock 3/PSU, 551, Quad 303, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, Kimber cables, Russ Andrews mains and supports. Previous Meridian: 5000C, 5200SL, 7200.2, 6000, 562V.2, 568.2mm, 800v4, 808.2i, 818v2/v3, 861v8, 502
|