Hi Ronnie,
As you've said software/firmware has tended to be free but I dont believe that even those of us with a ' hard neck' would expect hardware upgrades to be free

They have always had a premium price tag.
I'm still trying to get my head round it all as per thread title. I'm sure you remember years ago when DVD-A arrived the moaners said they didn't want to turn on a screen to access their music (of course they didn't really have to either if only they had RTFM ) but now 'interacting' with the music library and associated info is all the rage. Nothing to do with better sound quality as such, unless M's Sooloos integration brings that to the table with MQA , but still desirable. The only thing I miss about vinyl is the sleeve notes and artwork and Roon certainly brings great ideas.
Fair point too about those pesky silver discs all around the house just being 'on loan', but it never stopped me getting into Squeezebox/Dune/Kodi type products just for easier personal use and dare I say it ' interactivity ' :O)
Exciting Times,
Best,
~M~