I'll have to wait and see if Sooloos provide a similar level of functionality by the time Roon adds iPad support, but it might be too good to pass up if M don't come up with the goods.
Roon has been in development for a couple of years. The vast majority of that time as part of M; now spun out as a separate entity and team I.e. Roon.
I doubt very much that the Sooloos team at HQ were developing a.n.other system that will become Sooloos 3 at the same time. If they have then they have been doing it very much underground I would say.
John B indicated some cool tweaks that will come to Sooloos 2.2, but, if you are expecting big changes like track level data then I would be pretty surprised.
Roon and HQ are working on how to get the best of both worlds.