Well that's what I took this to mean in John B's update.
Originally Posted by John Buchanan
Moreover, we are enabling the Sooloos music library to be ‘watched’ allowing you to try alternative music control apps, such as the forthcoming Roon software, but to keep all of your superior, bespoke metadata.
To me, the statement clearly implies work by Meridian. I wouldn't begin to understand the technicalities though. Either way, it still seems to imply that you will not need to export in order to use Roon.
Here we again living on aspirations and rumours on the Forum.
This whole thing is filled with uncertainty, I can understand that Meridian or others cannot announce updates simultaneously which give the required integration, but it really poor that we do not know PRECISELY what is going to happen with a clear target date, otherwise we all groping around in the dark. That's pretty evident from many posts on the Forum.
Please Meridian can you make a definitive statement about this - also MQA please.
With regard to exporting 4300 albums, you can just start it up and come back after a few days. I did it because I found I had more order in my Sooloos library than among my original RIPs, long before Roon, I wanted to put my music on mobile devices.
Music room: 818v3, DSP8000SE, Roon/Intel NUC, microRendu/LPS-1 into Geek Pulse Xfi into Audeze LCD-3 HT: G61R, HD621, MS600, Oppo, Avantgarde Solo Library: MS600, Bel Canto, Mark & Daniel Other: SonicOrbiter, GeekOut, Audeze EL-8
People here have been using other apps to watch the Sooloos library for years now......e.g. people with Sonos and Squeezebox systems have been pointing them at the Sooloos database.......getting about 75% Album ID success.....and listening to the Sooloos Stored tracks thru their Sonos and SB kit.
So, this 'promise' from Meridian is nothing new to be honest......and really only likely involves making the process a little easier for those who don't know how to do it already
Likewise, Roon can be pointed at the Sooloos library......and will likely achieve a 75-85% Album ID success rate.......and be able to play Music from the Sooloos store......hence the suggestion to first Export the Sooloos library, which will enable Roon and other apps to achieve a much higher album ID success rate than above
At the base of this, it needs to be understood that Sooloos uses a Folder and Indexing structure that was designed to suit the computer hardware available back in 2005.......and talking about computer hardware from 10 years ago, is akin to talking about cars from 50+ years ago......i.e. it's not relevant to today's technology
Making any notable changes to this Sooloos structure will involve a ground-up redesign taking many, many manhours.......and it is only after such a redesign that Roon and other Music apps will be able to read the Sooloos database with a higher success rate than above
Hi Ronnie, I guess your example figure of 75% is based on 25% being ripped by a C15 or Control:PC or Control:Mac whereby tracks don't carry any meta tags for identification. If a user has used EAC, dBpa etc. to rip CD's and import to Sooloos and thus has files WITH tags, then SB and Sonos would read the store and show 100%.
I got very close to 100% when I ran both systems reading my MD600.
If M were to do something to make reading a store more effective, then I personally would modify the meta tag tool to take Sooloos album info from the album fse file and write tags for the track files of the album. M should also change the CD RIP program to NOT strip meta tags.
A tagtool does this today during export. It would be almost the same but without the export.
There are obviously others ways to achieve this. The above is just a thought on how M could do it to align with Roon if that is what JB means.
Apologies if this is a daft idea, but if you have a Sooloos library that has been ripped in Sooloos, would a Native export and then re import the files to Sooloos on a clean hard drive put you in a good position for using both systems?
Chris
No 18 in the Hall of fame I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best: GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone
The Sooloos database structure creates problems for Roon that a native export from Sooloos solves. Reimporting the files back into Sooloos will merely replicate the Sooloos folder structure that it's helpful to avoid.
I'm exporting my Sooloos library now and I will keep it as a separate Roon library.
Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.
I have the same, a Roon library and a Sooloos library, just in case, as example hardware for HH's to export their library to I used this Icybox enclosure you then just need one or two disks of the appropriate size, quite cost effective I thought, ncpl suggested it to me.