logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Ratbert
Unregistered
Ratbert
Unregistered
The prices seem ok, I hope the 'exchange rate' makes a difference confused

I fear it will be a triumph of hope over expectation frown

Cheers

Russ

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
GMT Offline
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
Originally Posted by Spinaltap
If so, that's too much for the ability to simply play back my own music.

Over time, the total cost of ownership would make Sooloos the wiser option.
It could make Sooloos the cheaper long term option, however you may be assuming that you won't be wanting to replace Sooloos hardware as the product becomes more powerful. There are also considerations re: hardware faults that should be factored in. Roon will also have these, but there are more flexible workarounds with Roon.

Cheers
Tom


Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server)
Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200
F80
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
GMT Offline
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
Originally Posted by Ludwig
If you "just want to play back your own music", just get VLC. It's free.
Hi Ludwig

For some people, the prime requirement is to be able to playback with a Meridian endpoint.

Cheers
Tom


Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server)
Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200
F80
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,814
Likes: 87
Sooloos/M users for the first time have a choice. That's quite amazing if you reflect on where Sooloos started at Meridian.

Sooloos has certain features; Roon has those and other features. Users can decide what is important to them.

Sooloos isn't exactly free either. There is a considerable entry price currently. As stated above it isn't yet known if Sooloos Core for NAS will be free or paid for.

No reason for anyone to expect Roon to be free. We know that Rovi data, lyrics, last.fm, TuneIn etc all have costs.

You pay your money...


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Originally Posted by Spinaltap
Over time, the total cost of ownership would make Sooloos the wiser option.
In looking critically at the Pricing Options, I see very few ways for the above statement to be true........and even those require some pretty generous Assumptions

Take a look at the Pricing options below and it's easy to see that in almost all cases, Sooloos ownership will cost more......and the following assumptions are made

a) That the Core / Server hardware for Sooloos / Roon will not require replacing or repair over the next 10 years......which if they did, then I think most people can see that the replacement / repair of the Meridian option will cost more than replacing / repairing a common PC

b) That the User doesn't already have a PC and NAS Storage that he can repurpose for the use by the Roon Server.......IMHO, most houses will already have such a machine they can use for this purpose

c) That a 500Gb or 1Tb Sooloos Core will be sufficient to handle a typical User's library

Just about the only way for the above to be true is if the User already has a Sooloos Core.......and would therefore need to invest in the Roon subscription model

And the Roon Trial period allows users to evaluate how Roon compares to their existing Sooloos UI.......and see if the extra annual subscription is merited by the Track Level Metadata and many other inherent advantages of the Roon software

[Linked Image]


-
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Ronnie, how would you value Meridian's on-line support and their ability to access, debug and diagnose problems in their software and hardware? I think those costing elements are included in the capital outlay on a core device.

Will Roon have the service support model and bandwidth to offer an equivalent service over a wide and expanding range of combinations of NAS, computer o/s and hardware, etc?

Not disagreeing with your capital investment calculations but I suggest your operational costings may not be equivalent or complete.


In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,977
Likes: 200
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,977
Likes: 200
Originally Posted by Ian
... I wonder if Sooloos core on QNAP will be free or not?
I would be more than willing to pay for Meridian Core software for Mac/PC like any other piece of software - but not on a subscription basis.


Not an Actor, nor married to Jamie-Lee Curtis.

#1: DSP5200SE|DSW.2|218|210|506.2|504
#2: Prime/PSU|SOtM sMS-200 Mini NEO SE|Focal Stellia
#3: Other stuff
Ratbert
Unregistered
Ratbert
Unregistered
Hi Gianni

For software faults I would expect Roon to fix bugs as part of the subscription as has been taken place during pre-release testing, as they don't currently provide hardware the warranty / repair costs of the hardware used to run Roon and or store the library would be down to the user as it is now.

Going forward I believe Roon will be able to support different OS and NAS's either directly, through the users forum or a combination of both, personally I have found this forum more able to solve user issues than MHQ.

All remains to be proved however.

Cheers

Russ

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,977
Likes: 200
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,977
Likes: 200
Ronnie,

You quote for a 10 year overall annual Roon subscription (£1,900) compared to buying a MC200 with a MS200 (£2,500).

I suggest that if buying the new Sooloos system that you don't need the MS200. That makes for a more equatable comparison. With a typical negotiated 10% discount on the Meridian option then I would rather pay £1,800 to own Sooloos outright.

Even so, one would need to factor in the cost of an iPad to control the MC200.


Not an Actor, nor married to Jamie-Lee Curtis.

#1: DSP5200SE|DSW.2|218|210|506.2|504
#2: Prime/PSU|SOtM sMS-200 Mini NEO SE|Focal Stellia
#3: Other stuff
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Trying not to be negative - just trying to ensure a level playing field for comparison.

Many (former and current) software engineers here will have been in that invidious position of having the software and hardware vendors pointing at each other when something breaks. When they both come from the same supplier there is only one place to go for support.

I bought into Sooloos because it was a complete, integrated, end-to-end packaged solution that was both expandable and upgradeable and I do not regret that decision. Sooloos being opened up to a wider range of platforms and user interfaces is great news. Personally, I don't have the time to invest in building and stabilising a bespoke music server from different components from multiple suppliers (for that is the new model being offered after all) but other people (rightly) enjoy those challenges.


In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
Ratbert
Unregistered
Ratbert
Unregistered
Gianni

Never considered your comment negative, just a different viewpoint that is totally valid, if you like I will build you a Roon server wink

Cheers

Russ

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
smile


In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (ShoeBoxJoe), 340 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,201
Posts297,161
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.065s Queries: 40 (0.033s) Memory: 0.8831 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-04 18:29:32 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS