logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 280
Likes: 6
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 280
Likes: 6
Originally Posted by JobSeeker
I wonder just how many potential sales are being held back.
I was planning to move from Sonos to Sooloos this year, but I'm now waiting to see how the implementation of MQA may change my plans.


Marj, my wife and best friend, says my passions are obsessions!
808v6, DSP5200USE, Roon, Gyro SE/Tecnoarm/AT33 PTG
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Originally Posted by JobSeeker
I wonder just how many potential sales are being held back.
Add me to the list.


Primary: MD600, MS200 (SpeakerLink to AES), Trinnov ST-2, Ayre V6-xe, Salk SS8 3x LRC.
Secondary: MC600 (whole house).
Zone one: 568.2, G57, MS200, Spatial Hologram M2SE.
Zone 2-6 (Awaiting assignment).
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
IMHO, we need to remember that this is a Double-Edged sword here...

We're actually confirming Meridian's long-held worst fears about telling us about new products too early... and thereby slowing down sales until those new products come along.

I fully understand the dilemma... but discretion might be the better part of valor here... especially if we want Meridian to talk more freely in the future.


-
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 158
Likes: 8
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 158
Likes: 8
If I listen to my 5200SL's (SpeakerLink with EBA on) through MC200 and then swap to 818v2, there is a very noticeable gain... as one would hope.

Within seconds of listening to some 5200SE (via 808v5 ID41) I found there to be a bigger gain than the above comparison... the 5200's do seem to have the biggest 'improvement' in overall sound when moving up to SE spec vs. their larger family members.

I've also listened to (7200.1 + 818v1) vs. (8000.2 + MC200) and again, the speaker upgrade gave the biggest improvement in sound quality.

If you had DSP6000 96/24 vs. DSP5200SE both via 818... (I've not heard this set-up) I'd probably be inclined to put bets on the DSP6000's sounding better/making the most of the 818... tough call though (both have their strengths).

Personally I'm holding out until I can hear MQA through 'core'/MC200 into SE speakers vs. MQA through 818v3 into SE speakers... i.e. how much does the 818v3 upgrade enhance the MQA data? (is this the 'Studio' level we've heard about in the past.)

Some great announcements being made to slowly clear the waters... and get us spending.


Music Room: 818v3, DSP8000SE (SpeakerLink cables), iPad control
Shunyata Denali Power Distributor, fed by SIgma NR V2 + Sigma digital(818) + 2x Alpha NR(DSP8000SE)
Network Acoustics ENO filter + Rubicon Switch(powered by IFI IPower Elite)

Office: Stax SRS2020 via ifi Signature
Spare: DSP5200 + MC200

Running Roon Core on SonicTransporter
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036
I think these hesitations stem really from the original MQA announcement and the Roon situation, rather than the more recent statement.


.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
I agree – it is the MQA announcement that has caused the problem. However, it is difficult to see how this could have been handled any differently given the need to engage with so many different constituents. If they had made no announcement the discussions/negotiations would have leaked – much better to put it out in a controlled manner.

The mistake they made was to make only a very limited statement about how it would be implemented in Meridian systems and speculation has inevitably filled the vacuum. The Roon announcement created yet more confusion and, for me at least, the most recent announcement about implementation of DSD and DXD has compounded the situation. We are left not knowing which bits of kit in our Meridian chain will perform what function, if at all. Effectively the whole Sooloos architecture is now up for grabs. Likewise the processor/DSP architecture – in these circumstances it is not surprising that people adopt a “wait and see” approach, while trying to sell the bits of kit that appear to have reduced functionality/relevance in the new world.


Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS
2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1
Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by AltusLiceor
while trying to sell the bits of kit that appear to have reduced functionality/relevance in the new world.
There is an unfortunate flip-side here: people "panic-selling" Sooloos Core components - post-Roon announcement - in an attempt to recoup value from them "while they still can". However, it is quite possible that these components could have *increased* value, but we simply don't know.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,036
For the time-being, I'm trusting M, so my MD600 isn't going anywhere. However, I am thinking that my multi channel system might run with a Dolby Atmos capable processor and an MS600, so that I can concentrate any other M expenditure on my stereo system.


.
Ratbert
Unregistered
Ratbert
Unregistered
I see no need for panic selling, nothing has stopped working, time to sit back relax and... listen to some music smile

Russ

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Is VK referring to me?

I had three Sooloos Cores. Running a diskless MD600 just as a Core makes no sense to me at all, given my move to QNAP, nor does moving it to the IoW where the Source:Five is perfectly adequate with the TwinStore.

The Source:Five's retro look is perfectly in keeping with the island, where if someone tells you they'll be with you at 1950 you're never quite sure whether they mean ten-to-eight or the year...

I'll grant you the Control:10 is slower as a Core, but it soon catches up and looks just like a Control:One, so the good Mrs dpstjp doesn't know it's arrived. Perfect camouflage.


Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.

Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
I'm not referring to anyone in particular.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
grin

Phew!

I do have to say that M's announcement that Core will be able to be run on a QNAP in the future is very welcome. I'd happily have bought a stand-alone Core without the bells and whistles that came with that Core. Makes upgrading an awful lot easier.


Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.

Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,008 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.125s Queries: 40 (0.082s) Memory: 0.8844 MB (Peak: 2.2159 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 04:31:30 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS