For non critical listening then one could use 'standard' the audio output of the PC but this would of course be subject to jitter.
The key is to isolate the delicate audio electronics from the noisy computer electronics ... which can be achieved using network connected audio endpoints or async USB DACs.
Do you recall the discussions we had on jitter and network connected Meridian endpoints? Well it's the same argument for Roon.
Audio data transmitted via asynchronous packets is immune to jitter, thus the endpoint is not affected.
I see it as, depending on how good your level of knowledge on networks, PCs, Mac's keeping it all Meridian from Core to Audio End Point may still be the best route for some users.
Turnkey versus features, good point, I'll take features please plus it remains to be seen just how much 'tweaking' will be required with a Roon system, it could be more (not completely) set and forget than appears?
I greatly enjoy the read I get from both HH as Roon. I just sincerely don't see any reason yet to consider a change from Core Control to Roon. What is it guys that tick you?
To be honest, I am massively distracted by the iPad whilst listening to some great music, why on earth would I need more distraction or is it that part of the hobby I am not seeing?
Really curious just in case I am missing out.
Living room: Ansuz Mainz8 C2, Uptone Ethernet Regen, Grimm MU1, Audionote (UK) DAC 5 Special, TT2, M2RIAA, Audionote (UK) OTO Line SE Signature, Fleetwood Deville SQ sold (Q1-2024): 818v3, DSP7200SE Office: MS200, audio engine A2+ Spare: STAX SRM-323II, SR303, MC200 (Roon ROCK’ed), Roon: life time subscription
I currently have a multiple Squeezebox setup. Roon will give me a low cost entry to an MS200 based system. Anything else will be a bonus.
I thought that the M Core hardware was expensive and unnecessarily restrictive too in terms of having to buy expensive hard drives from Meridian/Dealer if you wanted to upgrade the storage. To get a semi decent Sooloos system I needed an MC200, MS200 and an iPad. For Roon I only needed an MS200, subscription and an Nexus 9. M start up cost (second hand £1800) Roon startup £600 + subscription.
I like the idea of being able to replicate my personal music collection to Tidal with ease so I can get instant access to it wherever I can get onto Tidal which Roon should facilitate.
Android app support is another bonus.
I can't say at this stage how much benefit/enjoyment I will get from the other features as I haven't had the similar features in Sooloos before. It sounds like the Roon integration with Tidal will be unprecedented.
Just to be correct I think if you had to buy a replacement hard drive for an MC200 then the cost may have factored in the dealer/Meridian rebuilding the software on it and fitting it.
For MD600, MC600 the disks are just standard eg: buy from Amazon (other suppliers are available) and fit.
The only surplus kit that you would have if you chose to move from Sooloos to Roon would be MC200, TwinStore, MD600 and MC200, this excludes old original Sooloos kit eg: Store one etc, even then you could use the store on most and the endpoint on most so yes there is a loss of function but not complete obsolescence, and of course some will want to stay with Sooloos and so the used market remains.
In these times of uncertainty and speculation I have gone back to basics and am only spending money on music. After all this is the life blood of any system.
Monte Montgomery, Larry Carlton, Robert Earl Keen, Terry Callier, John Fullbright, Tom Russell, Rita Hosking, Gordon Lightfoot, First Aid Kit and Buffy Sainte Marie to name a few.
Some old, some new, some borrowed and some blue.
Just my direction
Hector
AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD. DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG. STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini A capella to Zydeco