OK, I admit it, I'm lost. Please excuse my stupidity.
For whatever the subscription cost will be, just what are we getting, I couldn't understand if it was:
1. A software app that we'd run on a PC/Mac to use that as a media server. As already suggested, that sounds a bit counter productive from an audio perspective.
2. A software app that runs on a PC/Mac that can act as a server and user interface (via say an iPad) that can stream via ethernet to an MS600, ID40, ID41 endpoint.
3. A full on device that replicates what an MC200 does and can stream to an end-point or other manufacturers DAC.
If it's option 3, and for $100/annum, where do I sign up.
Last edited by Carl; 2015-04-3017:41. Reason: Split out to its own thread.
861v4/ID40/LPS, HD621, Roon, BAT VK-600se, Impulse Ta'us. Director/Heed Canamp with HD600s.
- It's definitely no. 2. - It's not no. 3 in that the Roon app is not a device, it's an app.
I don't know what the difference is between no. 1 and no. 2. Do you mean using the PC/Mac's sound card/system output? If so Roon can do that as well, if you want.
Roon can stream to at least:
System output (this cannot be bit perfect, it goes via the OS mixer) Internal Speakers (Built in Output) Headphones (Built in Output) USB devices like Explorer1/2 etc. Meridian endpoints (MS200, MS600, ID40, ID41, MC200, MC600, C15) Apple Airport compatible devices (including Apple TV, for example)
A software app that runs on a PC, Mac, tablet (Android/iOS), or phone (Android/iOS), acts as a server (PC and Mac for the time being) or a client and/or remote to a server (all devices), can stream via ethernet to any Meridian Sooloos endpoint, and to USB devices (inc. Explorer, Director, Prime) connected to PC and Mac clients. Any device can be made to control any zone, unless you configure a zone as "private" to a device.
Not everything will be available at launch (e.g. phone support, I believe), but the PC and Mac stuff will be.
Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Just so I understand, are you're saying that this is an application that I can install on my existing i5 based PC, could be used to replace my MC200 and would allowing streaming directly to the ID40 card in my 861v4?
Again, apologies for sounding stupid, just trying to clarify (and I'm tired).
861v4/ID40/LPS, HD621, Roon, BAT VK-600se, Impulse Ta'us. Director/Heed Canamp with HD600s.
Adding to the "I may be stupid" trend; for Roon to operate in a manner equivalent to Sooloos 2.2, it must need a processor and storage.
So, instead of say an MD600, would I need a dedicated high-end computer with attached network storage devices to be up and running 24/7 and presumably not doing any other processor-intensive non-Roon tasks?
In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
It's really down the user choice, the Roon "server" needs a computing device running either Windows or OSx (Linux may be possible later).
If it's "headless" (not normally running the Roon UI) then an i3 process is more than fine.
If it's driving the UI then an i7 + NVIDIA type graphics card is recommended (think of the Roon UI display as being a like a games engine in terms of performance).
Plus of course the users audio files also need somewhere to reside.
The computing device does not need to be dedicated but many I suspect will opt for this.
There's a discussion over on the Roon site about hardware that's worth a read.