256GB is just the internal RAID 1 SSD cache. I added a pair of 480GB SSDs which I use for the VMs and ultimately Roon core. This brought the cost up to the equivalent of a disk less MD600. So I haven't factored in the costs of disks as they are the same regardless of which option is chosen.
However the QNAP supports a wider range of disks and even after adding my MD600 disks to the 480GB SSDs I would still have 6 spare drive bays for my money.
My cost comparison is more than fair. Especially since I could easily drop the SSD cache, 480GB array and reduce the memory from 32GB and still have a more capable, flexible, performant and cheaper system. Obviously it's not a complete like for like comparison since the QNAP lacks the advantages of a closed system such as Sooloos.
However I still think that it is a worthy consideration for Roon. For me the comparison with Sooloos only arose when Meridian chose to allow its use as a store and Roon arose with the potential to replace the core functionality as well. Of course if low cost resilient disk Sooloos is your goal you may be better off with an MC200 and a much cheaper 2 bay QNAP. You would of course gain an audio endpoint but I think this is probably a discussion for the Sooloos forum. My point for Roon still remains.
Cheers,
Tony.
Sources: MS600, Fidelity Audio Reference Oppo UHD-203, Roon/QNAP, AppleTV 4K Processors: Arcam AV40, 271 x2, Lumagen 5348 with Keces P8 Speakers: DSP7200SE FL/FR, DSP5200SE VC, DSP3200 x11, DSP320.2 VOG, DSW x4 Display: JVC DLA-N7 with PK-EM2, Panamorph Phoenix Pro, 128" 2.37 Curved Silver Ticket AT Screen
|