I read that as Roon is only concerned with metadata and not the media itself.

Software engineers will be asking questions like:

1 - How would that metadata "in databases tied to the Roon app install" (i.e. with a different proprietary schema) be initially populated? From the user's personalised and groomed Sooloos metadata or elsewhere (e.g. Roon-supplied value-added track-level metadata)?

2 - If elsewhere, how would Roon resolve differences between the two sources and can the user configure which one takes priority?

3 - If one changes the Sooloos metadata, how does Roon respond/resolve changes/differences?

4 - How are backups of personalised Roon metadata synched to Sooloos back-ups?

5 - How is software version control managed between Sooloos and Roon (possibly relevant if metadata schemas change but network share - either Pub/Sub or Fetch on Demand or etc. - should handle that)

6 - Etc.

I can see benefits in separating metadata from media data but the engineering to make the solution integration as described seemless without the need for any user intervention (an essential requirement IMHO - the world is not full of music/software geeks) will be potentially challenging.


In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.