There has been a great deal of discussion around the internet regarding the claims Meridian have made in support of MQA and avoiding time smearing in audio replay chains, and much of it has been a blanket and unsupported denial of the science. So, here is some supporting science:-
page seven of this pdf introduces the work of Dr. Milind Kunchur in this area and mentions three papers on the subject
this faq pdf was prepared in response to a discussion at www.gearslutz.com after the publication of the paper "Temporal resolution of hearing probed by bandwidth restriction (2008)".
Here is the paragraph supporting Dr. Kunchur's citation as a Fellow of the American Physical Society.
Last edited by SteveS; 2015-02-2119:32. Reason: about M Kunchur
Steve Synology NAS, PC RoonServer, 818v3, DSP7200SE, LG OLED55B7V, BDP-103, SkyQ-2TB
Really surprised this was published in 2008. It has MQA written all over it!
And I love his temporal smearing test where all his subjects could hear a 2.9mm misalignment of two tweeters 6.5m across a room, and there was an 80% detection rate of a 2.3mm misalignment.
The need for time alignment and EBA is also there...
Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
I can confirm from experience this degree of difference is quite audible. I have just set my speakers up with a laser level after having had a new floor installed. The floor under the right speaker was 4mm lower than the left speaker - increasing the spike height to level the setup made a clearly audible improvement.
Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS 2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1 Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
What if one of my ears is 2.9mm lower than the other, or further forward than the other, either from birth (*) or because I'm slouching on the sofa or because I tilt / turn my head??
(Another) Duncan
(*) One of my ear canals is much smaller than the other. Does this matter?
Duncan, good questions. I expect your brain has figured that out. i.e. when sat listening and you move then your brain knows that. When sat still and the source of sound moves it is because you brain knows if you are moving or not that it can process the object movement.
Kind of like knowing whether you are moving towards a Lion or it is moving towards you. You know which is which.
(*) One of my ear canals is much smaller than the other. Does this matter?
I am sure it is possible to accommodate your physical difference with In Ear Receivers as Russ suggests. Spec Savers offer home visits to assess your hearing and can possibly offer different size BUDDS.
No offence intended Hector
AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD. DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG. STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini A capella to Zydeco
What if one of my ears is 2.9mm lower than the other, or further forward than the other, either from birth (*) or because I'm slouching on the sofa or because I tilt / turn my head??
(Another) Duncan
(*) One of my ear canals is much smaller than the other. Does this matter?
I know this is an M board, but if you are really serious, there is actually a product that might make a difference. It is room correction, using earphones. I agree its a little wonky, but might make a difference.