I recently suffered a direct lightning strike to my house and it killed much of my Hi-Fi gear, including my beloved Sooloos system (TwinStore + Source:Five). I have the original TwinStore disks, which appear to be OK and a (slightly older) backup taken from the TwinStore.
I have been loaned a Linn streamer and have bought a QNAP NAS - I would like to be able to transfer my Sooloos music files (ideally those from one of the TwinStore disks, which are newer/complete) to the QNAP NAS, for use with the Linn streamer. Is this possible?
I have a USB-HDD enclosure into which I could put either the backup disk or one of the TwinStore disks. The backup disk was a cheap NAS - the lightning killed the network bits, but the HDD is OK.
I would hate to have to rip hundreds of CDs (again!).
You need to export the data from the TwinStore disks, is that going to be possible?
Then if you can you could install the exported FLAC files onto the NAS and the Linn should see them, not familiar with the Linn operation I am afraid. If your TwinStore is dead you could send me the disks and I will export them for you and send them back in a FLAC format.
I would suggest the first thing you do is get an Icybox in order to do a straight copy of each of the discs you still have, as a backup. It sounds like you need it.
Then take up Russ's kind offer and have him export your Sooloos files from his TwinStore. Without a functioning TwinStore I think you'll have a hard time getting access to music in any sensible way otherwise.
Thanks Russ and Ludwig. I had a feeling it might be problematic...
Russ - Thanks for your kind offer! I can do a (low level) backup of one of the disks and send them both to you. This might take me a little while, but I'll get there. I'm guessing that you will use one of them as the repository for the FLAC files?
I am based in the UK (South Wales), whereabouts are you? I am, of course, more than happy to arrange shipping/pay charges etc.
I probably should mention that the two disks are identical (RAID) copies of each other, if that is relevant. I think that is the standard way in Sooloos, but I believe it is possible to change this to obtain more capacity.
I am in Reading Berkshire, I think as long as the data is intact then I only need one disk from the TwinStore to be able to access the data,the TwinStore always ran as a mirrored pair the MD600 can be switched remotely (by Meridian) to run RAID 0 or 1 , I assume you are looking to have the files as an export so you can put them on your NAS for use with your Linn system? PM me you contact details and we can discuss logistics.
As I'm new to the forum, I'm not 100% certain that this reply is a PM or a reply to the thread... (I used the reply button at the bottom of your post).
I thought I'd better check before posting contact info.
The complexities of RAID formats would make this extrememy difficult/impossible. Hardware raid formats often differ between RAID controllers and its not unknown to differ between versions of firmware either. The fact that TwinStore and MD600 discs apear to be interoperable is a very unusual scenario and unlikely to work in 3rd party kit. If RAID is software rather than a hardware controller, it may have more interoperability, but still unlikely unless the exact source and destination systems methods could be verified as compatible - a reformatted disc would likely be the result if not compatible.
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).