|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492 |
So would I, but given how long it took them to come up with HD621, it could be a while coming.
Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703 Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703 Likes: 4 |
I think there are three distinct groups.
Those that don't care, those on budget/constraints that may want to try, those who will use it a foundation for their setup.
Its success will depend on group 2 above and only if it is easily accessible/cheap, a bit like budget 5.1 is now. I think part of issue with 3D was, amongst many other things, having different versions of the same release and the associated cost premium. Are Atmos encoded discs backward compatible with existing non Atmos players and 1 disc will fulfill both markets?
I suspect that, in the end, group 1 will prevail as its probably more than 99% of the market and it will fade into a niche market just like 3D has.
Imho ... and then there are people like us on here where, after "upgrading" to 5.1/7.1 systems, many are "regressing" to 2CH systems as they prefer them. MDMS is only 2 channel and is the best promoted product range of Meridian. IMHO Atmos is another technical exercise doomed to commercial failure.
Malcolm
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87 |
Malcolm, I am with you on that one. I have been 2.0 now for 12 months and haven't really missed the 7.0 at all. It helps having a very nice 2.0 though I have to add.
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895 |
I am with the OP on this one. I will go with, "this time it is different". First, the application of ATMOS isn't a major financial burden. It will appear in all new receiver and processor technology. However, the difference is that the extra speakers are not cutting edge and one can actually use smaller fronts then are traditionally seen. In most of the big time ATMOS applications I have seen, the speaker tech isn't a major investment and the speakers are not massive. It is with this distinction that I think M will struggle with the application of ATMOS and others. Well that and unwillingness to let the processor decode codecs.
I guess technically I could be throw into the group of people that "downgraded", but I did for other reasons as well. Primarily as I felt that M was leaving the analog speaker user behind. Like the OP, sticking with Sooloos and anxiously awaiting whatever major redo M offers for that.
Primary: MD600, MS200 (SpeakerLink to AES), Trinnov ST-2, Ayre V6-xe, Salk SS8 3x LRC. Secondary: MC600 (whole house). Zone one: 568.2, G57, MS200, Spatial Hologram M2SE. Zone 2-6 (Awaiting assignment).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791 |
Personally I'm not a massive fan of HT. However, the very very reasonable prices of legacy Meridian processors (861v4) and speakers have proved too tempting for me!
I'm thoroughly enjoying BR movies, Netflix, in 5.1, iPlayer etc. Excellent HiRes movie soundtracks and the odd piece multichannel music.
Currently listening to two channel on a different set up.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24 |
I think the thing that is different about Atmos is that it is unashamedly artificial. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The producer can create exactly the sound-field he or she wants in a virtual manner using objects without the need for microphone placement or mixing desk tricks. The technology is undoubtedly impressive on paper and mimics the use of object-oriented software for video objects in cartoon and special effects development - which we know can be very convincing. As an aside, I suspect that the height element will be for the minority who can accommodate (domestically and financially) the extra speakers rather than a must-have USP.
However I believe it is the antithesis of the Meridian objective which I would characterise as trying to attain the highest quality, multi-channel sound quality to emulate the original recording and which incidentally happens to do film sound-tracks in a rather pleasing way.
Atmos supports a single, currently rare use-case. I can see commercial applications such as directed and multiplexed public announcements in controlled spaces. It might even become an interesting tool in the hands of creative and innovative music producers.
I look forward to Jaco's feedback on his experiences.
In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307 |
Well, D&M offer Auro3d also, but in a 7.1.4 system it is limited to Auro3d 7.1 (as in 2 front height channels and 5 base layer channels. This is as the speaker position in the height layer are too different between the 2 formats.
This processor is affordable enough to replace after 1 year when DTS has perhaps their format out. Muat some compromise than.
Sold all M equipment
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660 Likes: 30
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660 Likes: 30 |
Unless I'm missing something wireless speakers will need power and if they're going to the ceiling it won't be the most straight forward installation. Cheers Tom
Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server) Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200 F80
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895 |
Here is an interesting take on two channel vs. Atmos. This reviewer, having just reviewed the new top of line Martin Logan Monoliths, concludes with comment that the Atmos offered a more realistic sounding presentation. Most interesting is that the author used music he produced, so is likely the one best positioned to make a claim such as this. Skip to the end if you don't care about the ML review. Martin Logan vs Atmos Certainly time will tell and opinions vary, but just an interesting take.
Primary: MD600, MS200 (SpeakerLink to AES), Trinnov ST-2, Ayre V6-xe, Salk SS8 3x LRC. Secondary: MC600 (whole house). Zone one: 568.2, G57, MS200, Spatial Hologram M2SE. Zone 2-6 (Awaiting assignment).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 77
Mostly harmless
|
|
Mostly harmless
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 77 |
I tried Atmos today with Klipsh speakers. I think it's pretty cool. Hopefully Meridian will add Atmos compatibility to the surround processor in the future. The 2 new in ceiling speakers are going to cost me the price of a small car though.
Meridian Explorer, Seinheiser HD650, B&W MM-1 Ordered (new home under construction) Grey Aluminum DSP7200SE, DSP7200HCSE, 4 DSP520, 2 DSW, G61R, HD621, MC200, Sony VW500ES, Supernova Blade 112"?"
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 485
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 485 |
Before these new formats (well personally for me I have no room for lot of speakers)..first things first...  I am waiting for multichannel input support on USB in the 861v8, will Meridian announce this at CES? 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,307 |
I have the Marantz unit in. No connection the speakers. The base layer is working, I need to set the unit up with Audyssey as that measures the distance etc. also. The on screen menu is nice, never had one with Meridian 
Sold all M equipment
|
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,181
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|