logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 8 of 12 1 2 … 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519
I've been using the Tidal service for a week and I'm sold - - great catalog and awesome sound. From experience I'd say, leave it to the Scandinavians to do great things even better!

Now, as we all wait for the the Tidal + Sooloss integration, I've been thinking, would the Meridian box be adding anything to the sound, or would it merely serve as a "conduit"?

Would there be any difference, in sound quality, listening to Tidal from a PC/Mac, a dedicated audio component like Electrocompaniet or Meridian Sooloos?


Lumin A1, Shindo Aurieges, Sanders Loudspeakers. DSP5000.
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
I like it, but I am still having skipping issues on albums downloaded to my mobile Nexus 5. Are other people having this issue?


Primary: MD600, MS200 (SpeakerLink to AES), Trinnov ST-2, Ayre V6-xe, Salk SS8 3x LRC.
Secondary: MC600 (whole house).
Zone one: 568.2, G57, MS200, Spatial Hologram M2SE.
Zone 2-6 (Awaiting assignment).
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519
I've only used it on my Mac, streaming, no issues, only positives... so far.


Lumin A1, Shindo Aurieges, Sanders Loudspeakers. DSP5000.
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Originally Posted by Plasmatico
Would there be any difference, in sound quality, listening to Tidal from a PC/Mac, a dedicated audio component like Electrocompaniet or Meridian Sooloos?
That's really nothing to do with Tidal as such, it's a hardware question (how good is this device vs. this other device) that's been covered many times.

If using a PC/Mac the key is to have bit-perfect output to an external asynchronous DAC of one's choice (be that Meridian or otherwise).

Try a Google search of the forum, this has been discussed extensively of the years.

Personally I prefer to stay 'in house' with Meridian source equipment as I like the audio presentation and I know that with M's R&D program if it can be improved with a firmware upgrade they will.

Now full Tidal integration will be a lot more than just a 'conduit' for use Sooloos users, hanging it properly integrated to compliment our local libraries is key.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by Plasmatico
Would there be any difference, in sound quality, listening to Tidal from a PC/Mac, a dedicated audio component like Electrocompaniet or Meridian Sooloos?
Absolutely. Up-sampling / apodizing is likely to make the greatest difference, all other things (i.e. jitter) being the same.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 958
Likes: 5
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 958
Likes: 5
So a 96/24 file will have apodizing applied? I thought apodising was carried out in the upsampling process.


James
NC1: 861v8, ID41, 218, 251(to outdoors), DSP8000SEUG, 7200SEC, DSP520 rears, Apple TV, DirecTV, Oppo BD103, QNAP251, Roon
NC2-M7005, Triad Silver Speakers,Acurus Amps

FL1: 861v4, ID40, 218, MS200, DSP8000SEs, DSP7200SEC, DSP5000s, DirecTv, AppleTv, OppoBD103, QNAP469, Roon
FL2: Marantz 7005, 251, M60s,60C,33s, Oppo BDP-93,MS200, Roon
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Tidal lossless streaming is 44.1/16, so will be up-sampled. Any 96/24 downloads (do they have a store yet?) will not be up-sampled further.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 460
Likes: 18
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 460
Likes: 18
I wish Meridian would do a beta program for the new SW and I would be in it. smile

I can't wait for the new SW with Tidal integration.


Main: Marantz Cinema 50, Meridian 271, DSP7200.2, DSP5200HC, DSP5000 rears, Meridian 210.
PC/Headphones: Mytek Liberty II, Sansui CA-F1, Sansui B-2301, Sennheiser HD800, Kef R3

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519
OK, so they don't even need to be downloaded to get the Meridian treatment - streaming would be up sampled/apodized as well? Very excellent!!!


Lumin A1, Shindo Aurieges, Sanders Loudspeakers. DSP5000.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
I think VK was saying that in response to the question about Brand X vs Sooloos handling Tidal. When it is enabled in Sooloos you will get upsampling etc.

US/apodizing won't be a feature of the streaming per se.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
I am not sure if this review has been linked here before. Still it's worth a read for insight and the second from last paragraph. Tidal review
Cheers, Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 140
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 140
Likes: 1
Does anyone use LizTic Music Apps

I have it and I have uploaded lossless and HD Audio to my Google Drive and stream it to my iPhone without loss. It works great.

I know I don't have a catalog of what Tidal can offer but I do get to put the songs that I enjoy in the cloud and listen at anytime. smile

Steve

Last edited by Carl; 2014-11-21 03:07. Reason: URL wrapped with URL Tag & Description

Meridian owner since 1995
Meridian G65, DSP5200, DSP5200HC, HD621, KEF DiPole Surrounds, M&K MX-200 Subwoofer, Oppo BDP-103, Bluesound Node 2i, Explorer, Mac Mini w/Roon, Apple TV.
Page 8 of 12 1 2 … 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Croft, JCD), 412 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.075s Queries: 40 (0.044s) Memory: 0.8996 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 14:53:12 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS