Perhaps already clear with the sale topics of my gear.
I have sold all my Meridian equipment except the MC200.
The reason is that I want to try out new things like Dolby Atmos and Auro3d, and I saw this not as a valid option in the system I had (timeline and costs).
The system I ordered back is: Marantz AV7702 with Genelec G series active monitors and a HTS4b sub.
Thanks for all the help I received from the members here. Also it was great fun to visit the factory.
My additional guess is while it may be here to stay (for a while) it is a passing fad somewhat like 3D, most people have trouble already accommodating 5 speakers in a room, whilst I have no doubt it is good I see it's future primarily in cinemas.
I fully agree with you, however, I think some may opt for the front speakers to use upward firing drivers instead of ceiling mounded ones. Just a thought.
Those that don't care, those on budget/constraints that may want to try, those who will use it a foundation for their setup.
Its success will depend on group 2 above and only if it is easily accessible/cheap, a bit like budget 5.1 is now. I think part of issue with 3D was, amongst many other things, having different versions of the same release and the associated cost premium. Are Atmos encoded discs backward compatible with existing non Atmos players and 1 disc will fulfill both markets?
I suspect that, in the end, group 1 will prevail as its probably more than 99% of the market and it will fade into a niche market just like 3D has.
Imho
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
IMHO object-based audio rendering will take off. The studios like it and unlike 3D it doesn't require extras on behalf of the audience to enjoy a considerably enhanced experience.
I think getting on board with Atmos is a bit of a gamble before DTS shows its hand. I plan to add height channels but I want to ensure that their positioning etc is compatible with future formats. I also have no plans to ditch my Meridian system and will 'integrate' a 5.1.4 system with my 861. I'm going wait about 6 month before assessing the options. I won't be missing much as current Atmos releases are truely woeful.
Edit: Jaco - good choice on the 7702, it looks an excellent processor
Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Given Meridian's history with Dolby, I would be astonished if Meridian does not have an active research line here. Having said that I respect the OP's position and choice.
Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.