I might even be forced to try it myself, having first been annoyed by the pricing disparity (rather than the pricing per se). However, it will need to be easily accessible and operable on My M gear I think.
So you sign up for a months trial, then go into subscription whilst you wait for the promised integration on your hifi. This takes a (good) few months. Who's cynical, me or Tidal?
First week with Tidal. So far, it's been great. Playing iMac into G68 with USB converter. And into Explorer with headphones. Sound is as good as my ripped CD's using Amarra. Just about everything I have wanted to hear for the price of a new CD (if you can find it), each month. F'in Great.
G68, G91, BAT 51se tube pre, ATC SCM50 tower (active) fronts, ATC SCM20a rear, Oppo, Apple TV, Sonos, Nottingham TT, Shunyata power condition and cords.
I'm casually testing Tidal Hifi via the iPad app and an Arcam rDock-uni (new addition) into the 818.
My impressions:
- The bait 'n switch from 30 day trial to 7 day trial left a bad taste
- The UI in both the web site and iPad app works well and is uncluttered
- I find that tracks skip once about 50% of the time right at the start. My bandwidth is otherwise solid and I never have problems with streaming music or movies from other services
- Quick spot checks in the catalog tell me that it's decent, but that it doesn't have the same breadth or depth as Rhapsody's (yet?)
- It's too early to say much about Tidal's sound quality, especially since I'm listening through new components
I'm partial to owning music and storing it locally. I use Rhapsody for sampling new music and occasionally to beef up party mixes. Unless Tidal's catalog supersedes Rhapsody's or M's integration with Tidal enables me to play 44.1Khz/16bit music from Tidal offline, I will probably stick with Rhapsody.
- I find that tracks skip once about 50% of the time right at the start. My bandwidth is otherwise solid and I never have problems with streaming music or movies from other services
Update: this happens also when I play tracks in offline mode, i.e. with the album downloaded from Tidal in the app and the iPad in airplane mode. Could be a quirk in the Tidal app or something to do with the Arcam rDock.
Pretty identical results from my end as well, including the skipping. Agree on Rhapsody, with download service to M being the ultimate test and deciding point.
Primary: MD600, MS200 (SpeakerLink to AES), Trinnov ST-2, Ayre V6-xe, Salk SS8 3x LRC. Secondary: MC600 (whole house). Zone one: 568.2, G57, MS200, Spatial Hologram M2SE. Zone 2-6 (Awaiting assignment).