logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 28 1 2 … 13 14 15 16 17 … 27 28
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 90
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 90
Hi Shaun,

Glad to hear that smile

Yes, the GISO doesn't just achieve galvanic isolation of earth and signal lines, but does filtering as well.

Thinking a bit more about the EMsafe, while there'd clearly be no sonic reason for including filtering, as EMO isn't an audio company, they might well have put in similar filtering just to get rid of noise and to preserve signal integrity over longer runs.


808v5, MD600 & DSP7200.1
Dedicated audio mains supply
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 147
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 147

Hi Dave,
I also noted this in the applications section of the Emo systems FAQ - note the last two and the reference to noise.

3. Where are network isolators typically used?

Network isolators are commonly used in copper-based network connections in private, public, and commercial sectors.

Typical applications include:
�Medical electrical devices whose operation is permitted only when existing signal interfaces present a standards-compliant means of separation. Hence the frequently used term �medical network isolator�.
�Sensitive measuring and monitoring devices in electrical testing laboratories, which are connected through an Ethernet network to a control center, and need to be
protected from transients and potential differences.
�Computer systems which are electrically connected over long distances via
Ethernet cabling, where potential equalising currents need to be prevented.
�Audio applications, where the transmission of low frequency alternating currents (AC hum) over the network connection is to be reduced.
�Applications where valuable or especially vulnerable devices need to be protected from overvoltage and line noise from peripheral network equipment.


Ultimately, trying it in my system will tell me whether any of the above is relevant or not.


Shaun

861v8 & ID41, HD621, DSP7200SE Upgrade Fronts, DSP7200HCSE Upgrade, DSP3200's rears, B&W ASW850 (sub), QNAP 871 for Sooloos, Cineultra V203, Dune HD, Apple tv 4k, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Sim2 C3X. LG Oled C9
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 90
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 90
Hi Shaun,

It's really hard to tell from this and I'm not expert on LAN isolators. The penultimate bullet re AC hum I think refers to breaking potential 'ground loops' where the ground on one piece of kit is at a higher voltage than another and 50Hz currents flow. That's the low 50Htz hum you sometimes hear on a system.

Surge protection is a great thing of course, so that's good.

I still can't see any reference to selective filtering of higher frequency noise - i.e. stuff sitting at a higher frequency than the wanted range of signal frequencies, but it's entirely possible that it's there anyway.

I'm with you on trying it out. It could turn out to be every bit as good as the GISO and we'll build up a good head of knowledge between on this thread.

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on.

Cheers
Dave


808v5, MD600 & DSP7200.1
Dedicated audio mains supply
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Well, I've ordered a GISO (I hope my wife doesn't read this and think it's some acronym for Girl In Suspenders...), and she should be here by the weekend. Will she become a permanent fixture, I wonder?


Prolific music listener / Hi-Fi addict!
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
MB Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,791
Will it turn an ID40 into an ID41?

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Yes, I did wonder whether it might have no impact on an ID41 whatsoever, but no harm in trying it out...


Prolific music listener / Hi-Fi addict!
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Apart from the different chip layout of ID40/ID41. Performancewise I'd say an ID40 with Giso GB might even surpass the ID41. There I said it. smile

I did not notice much difference between ID40/ID41, but I haven't done an A/B head to head. But I did go from ID40 to ID41 in my system.


DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 89
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 89
GISO ordered by me too.

SQ results were too compelling to ignore for what seems a relatively small outlay in terms of system cost.


808v6, DSP7200SE, MD600
Vertex AQ & LeadingEdge products
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Originally Posted by Crion
I did not notice much difference between ID40/ID41, but I haven't done an A/B head to head. But I did go from ID40 to ID41 in my system.

Can you perhaps clarify how you managed to establish that there wasn't much difference between an ID40 and ID41??


-
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
G997
Hitchhiker
G997
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 376
Ronnie

Could you please tell us what components your audio system consist of?

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
Originally Posted by Kingsrule
Could you please tell us what components your audio system consist of?

How or why does that change the answer to the question asked?

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
For the very reason you ask, I've long chosen not to disclose.

Unless I'm seeking help on a particular issue, then I don't think that my system has any bearing on any comments that I post here... as I don't think that a person's system adds or subtracts any weight to any post...

From my posts down thru the years, I think many here know what my system is compromised of... and they will also be aware that during my travel, I've long made it a point to demo many different technologies and solutions to Audio and Video reproduction.

So, can you tell why my system is of any interest to you in the context of this thread??


-
Page 15 of 28 1 2 … 13 14 15 16 17 … 27 28

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 241 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,170
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.067s Queries: 40 (0.037s) Memory: 0.8946 MB (Peak: 2.2170 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-06 05:18:23 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS